No Place Like Home

||No Place Like Home

No Place Like Home

By | 2016-12-18T17:00:55+00:00 March 28th, 2014|17 Comments

One Year in California

A little over a year ago, Brian and I moved to the Silicon Valley after Brian got a new job at Google. It was a big change for us, we didn’t want to leave Portland (and because of that we almost didn’t even consider the job offer), but we made the decision to give it a try. And if we changed our minds then we could always move back, right? Well, that time has come.

I’ve lived in a lot of places, but after separating from the Navy, all of them were of my own choosing. Each place I have lived in I was able to adapt to my surroundings, but I always knew that I could move again if I so desired. After moving to Portland, getting married, and buying a house, I thought I would finally stay in once place forever. That changed with Brian’s new job at Google, yet only a few months after moving to the South Bay I knew that it was not a good fit. Portland is the place for us to thrive, to be inspired, and to be happy. I need to live some place that I thought was beautiful and inspiring, somewhere I could grow creatively. So we made the decision to move back to Portland for good.

It’s Official!

This past year has been a roller-coaster, and I’m so tired of moving (I’ve moved so much in the past six years that I’ve lost track). I’m just grateful that I have an amazingly supportive husband who was willing to take this leap with me. (And for those of you who are curious, yes, Brian will still be working for Google … I’m sure he’ll share more on that in time.) Sometimes you can have your cake and eat it too.

I was in Portland last week and we miraculously found a house, and a beautiful one at that! I even named it “Magnolia”. :) We should be making the move in a little less than a month, and I have quite a bit do to between now and then. Each year seems to bring something new, it’s been an exciting ride and I look forward to what is to come.

So, to all of my Portland friends, I can’t wait to see you and spend some quality time together! And, to all of my readers, get ready for plenty more photographs of beautiful waterfalls and food photos from inside of our new home. (I will even have a dedicated ceramics studio … so there will be some of that mixed into my blog as well!) I’m taking it easy the rest of the year to try and re-ignite my fire for art and photography, a fire that has been burning very low this past year. It will be good to get settled as quickly as possible and back to the swing of things.

Portland, baby, we’re coming home!

My name is Nicole and I’m a photographer, author, & educator living in Lincoln, Nebraska, USA. When I’m not making photos I’m writing books and tutorials for my online store, Learn more about me and my story here.

1. Jeremy March 28, 2014 at 11:03 am - Reply

Hopefully “Magnolia” has a room for a nice big studio, and a yard for Kodak!

• Nicole S. Young March 28, 2014 at 12:17 pm - Reply

It does! I’m learning I don’t need much space for my food photography, just a good window and a place for a table. We have a nice little yard in the back for Kodak, and a garage that I will be using for my ceramics studio. (The light should be great in the garage, so I could always use it for photography, too.) :)

2. Donna M. March 28, 2014 at 11:46 am - Reply

I’m so happy for you – to be able to clearly define what you need to thrive (not just survive) and the gutsy spirit to make it happen. Best wishes for a smooth moving experience so that you can quickly settle and begin a new chapter in your life.

• Nicole S. Young March 28, 2014 at 12:18 pm - Reply

Your comment about “thriving vs. surviving” hit the nail square on the head. :)

3. Nick N. March 28, 2014 at 11:50 am - Reply

Welcome back. Portland sure missed you in the community.

4. Deb Uscilka March 28, 2014 at 1:09 pm - Reply

Congrats Nicole, Brian, Kodak and Fuji! I love Portland and will be visiting in June. I can’t wait! The water features in the city alone are worth it, but add the falls on the Columbia, like Multnomah…wow! Now, I need to find the time to finish your Landscape book before the trip.

Best Wishes to all of you!

5. Patricia Davidson March 28, 2014 at 1:30 pm - Reply

Wonderful news! I have lived in California too but love the Pacific Northwest. Portland is a great place – welcome back!

6. Mason Marsh March 28, 2014 at 1:43 pm - Reply

Welcome back! We need to connect for coffee when you get the chance. What part of town did you settle on ?

• Nicole S. Young March 28, 2014 at 10:02 pm - Reply

We’re in NE, not too far North of 84. Nice little neighborhood :) And yes! We should all definitely meet up for coffee.

7. Scott King March 28, 2014 at 2:35 pm - Reply

We moved from Maryland to Texas last summer for Lisa’s work (she’s a chemical engineer) and it’s been rough. So I totally get what it’s like to move for a spouse. It’s not easy. Congratulations on being able to move back to Portland. I hope you guys find a lot of happiness in your new home.

8. Debbi smirnoff March 28, 2014 at 2:53 pm - Reply

I’m so happy for you! I’ve been following you since Idaho and Rich Legg. I wanted to tell you how very much I loved your Kelby One food class! I watched it a dozen times. Thank you for sharing so much!

9. Paul Wesson March 28, 2014 at 3:52 pm - Reply

Woo Hoo…. Congratulations!

10. Don March 29, 2014 at 8:03 am - Reply

I hope Brian could go back to work for OnOne. I miss his Inspiration series and his other tutorials. I understand about living in California. I did the same thing years ago.

• Nicole S. Young March 29, 2014 at 12:12 pm - Reply

That’s very sweet of you, I’ll let Brian know what you said. But he’s keeping his job at Google (and I don’t blame him, lol). :)

11. Sam Breach March 29, 2014 at 12:05 pm - Reply

Congratulations! I can quite understand you not feeling at home in the South Bay. Although I worked there for 7 years, to have had to of lived there as well would have dampened my soul. Portland is such a great place, I see why you are moving back. And it’s so great that Brian can move and keep his job too.

12. Don Temple March 31, 2014 at 10:10 am - Reply

Oh! I thought Brian had not only left California but had also left Google. It’s great he could transfer!!!