eBook Poll: I Need Your Input!

|, Photography, Polls|eBook Poll: I Need Your Input!

eBook Poll: I Need Your Input!

By | 2016-12-18T17:00:57+00:00 January 17th, 2014|9 Comments

Vertical? … or Horizontal?

Please help me out by answering the two questions below:

[poll id=”3″]

[poll id=”4″]

As many of you know, I self-publish my own eBooks and sell them in my online store. In the past, I have given my readers the option of viewing the eBooks either vertically, or horizontally. I’m considering making some changes to my layout, but before I do I wanted to check to see which all of you prefer. In many ways, I like reading my eBooks vertically, however for photography eBooks it can make much more sense to format them horizontally. I would like to put larger-sized images in the post-processing portion, and my current layout prevents me from doing that. But before I do anything drastic, I want to get your input!

So, when it comes to PDF eBooks, which do you prefer: vertical, or horizontal? And, devices do you use to read PDF eBooks?

1. Michael Seirer January 18, 2014 at 3:45 am - Reply

Although I read ebooks on my tablet as well as on my desktop machine, i definitively prefer because also on my 30″ screen i like to focus on one page – so even there I like to have my orientation vertically. On your screenshot on the mcbook: isn’t this just two vertically layouted pages? I mean its not a true horizontal layout…

• Nicole S. Young January 18, 2014 at 12:56 pm - Reply

I currently create my eBooks as a vertical layout, but then will export them in two formats: vertical and horizontal. This way someone can read one page at a time (vertically) or two pages together at a time (horizontally). I’m trying to determine which way people read, to see if it would make more sense to change my overall format to a horizontal-only format.

2. Dave Pruett January 18, 2014 at 3:33 pm - Reply

Hi Nicole! I have purchased both print and e-editions of your books. I generally read vertically on my iPad, but some books/magazines do look better horizontally and that is fine. I can’t imagine deciding to buy (or not buy) a booked based on the orientation it is optimized for as long as it is set up to look good one way or the other. Some books are really poorly formatted no matter how you turn them. Not yours.

3. Ana Rita Ferreira January 18, 2014 at 5:57 pm - Reply

Well, to read an ebook i prefere verticaly way but if talked about pictures, i prefere horizontal. I only use verticaly pictures if i’m taking a portrate but i almost just use horizontal.

Rita Ferreira

4. David January 28, 2014 at 6:11 am - Reply

Just to be difficult why not both. Are there some publishing software that would allow both depending on screen size. As mentioned in another comment the horizontal layout does not take advantage of the wider screen.

Dave

• Nicole S. Young January 28, 2014 at 8:59 am - Reply

I currently do both PDF versions (horizontal and vertical). There is publishing software that can allow for both positionings when the tablet is flipped (such as magazines in the New-stand on iPad), however that’s not going to happen with my eBooks anytime in the near future. This poll was more out of curiosity and to see if I was already doing the right thing.

• Pamela March 9, 2014 at 1:55 pm - Reply

Nicole glad to hear you are doing both vertical and horizontal. I use my tablet both ways. When photos are involved I can change the direction to really get a better look at photo.
        Thanks Pamela

• Nicole S. Young March 10, 2014 at 12:01 am - Reply

Hi Pamela, just so you are aware, the vertical and horizontal are two separate PDF files. So, you won’t be able to rotate and have it switch (not like you can with an interactive reading format, such as iBooks).