Behind the Scenes:

Stillwater Café and Restaurant

Home|Australia, Behind-the-Scenes, Blog, Food, Photography, Travel|Behind the Scenes: Stillwater Café and Restaurant

While I didn’t get a “proper” behind-the-scenes photo of my setup at the Stillwater Café when I photographed my lunch, I did create an overhead graphic to show where I was sitting in relation to the light coming through the windows, as well as the gear I used. Here’s a little bit more about my setup and equipment:

• Camera Gear: I only brought one camera and lens with me, my Canon 5D Mark III and the Canon Macro 100mm f/2.8L IS lens. I did all of my photography hand-held and set the ISO to “auto” so that I would not have to deal with camera-shake.
  • Lighting Setup: All of the images were photographed with existing natural light in the room. There were windows to my left and a white wall to my right, so I had beautifully diffused light to my left and a soft, subtle “reflector” to my right.

That’s it! Here are the images I photographed with this setup … and you can read more about this dining experience, as well as see some more images, over on my blog post about the Stillwater Café and Restaurant in Tasmania.

By | 2016-12-18T17:00:59+00:00 April 2nd, 2013|10 Comments

1. Tito April 2, 2013 at 9:23 am - Reply

Hello, very interesting light proposal.
    I wanted to ask if you have not used tripod and if artificial lights instead used them too.

• Nicole S. Young April 2, 2013 at 9:42 am - Reply

For this, no, I didn’t use a tripod or artificial lights. I have used them for other images in the past and almost always use tripods for my food photography when I’m in my studio.

2. sofiane zazo April 2, 2013 at 9:34 am - Reply

très très beau Nicole

3. Erin April 2, 2013 at 9:52 am - Reply

Hugely helpful diagram! Thanks, Nicole!

4. Joe April 2, 2013 at 11:15 pm - Reply

did you prepare that food too? what were the food preparation arrangements?

5. Staj April 3, 2013 at 7:27 am - Reply

Hi Nicole, Great pictures. Is it possible to get similar or near-similar results with a 50mm lens?

6. langoclieu April 5, 2013 at 5:45 am - Reply

I am a viet nam, do not speak and write in multiple languages, please send an email to me langoclieu@gmail.com, langoclieu@yahoo.com phone: 01238782904

7. Bashar Al-Kuwaiti April 12, 2013 at 9:46 am - Reply

Thanks for sharing the how-to… its interesting to see the pros using the auto feature, most of us amateurs view that as a sin in order to feel more professional.

8. Christopher Kimball July 26, 2013 at 6:04 am - Reply

Thank you for sharing the setup for these images. The images are great and I am curious, was this a job or just a meal out?

• Nicole S. Young July 26, 2013 at 10:09 am - Reply

Hi Christopher. This was technically just a meal, but we were in Australia for Tourism Australia to share and document our time. We weren’t specifically hired to do any certain type of photography, just sent on a trip to enjoy ourselves and share our journey along the way, if that makes sense.