The Lonely Tree

Home|Blog, Photography|The Lonely Tree

What is it about isolated trees that make them so appealing to photographers? Well, whatever it is, when you do find one it’s one of those “cliché” images that you just can’t help but photograph, right? :)

I found this with +Brian Matiash on our journey through the Nebraska cornfields. We had so much fun, and I have a lot of photographs to edit from that trip (and about half of them are gorgeous photos of my nieces and nephews). :) More to come!

By | 2016-12-18T17:01:04+00:00 July 22nd, 2012|75 Comments

1. Jesse Lopez July 22, 2012 at 10:21 pm - Reply

Nice isolation, and a beautiful subject too. Nice shot!

2. Jesse Lopez July 22, 2012 at 10:21 pm - Reply

Nice isolation, and a beautiful subject too. Nice shot!

3. Christi Nielsen July 22, 2012 at 10:23 pm - Reply

One of my professors in college always found solitary trees that were planted in tiny squares of dirt within giant parking lots. In Texas, the concrete parking lots are massive. It was like a desperate attempt to represent a tiny slice of the nature that was demolished by the concrete.

Nice photo. Looking forward to seeing the others. :)

4. Christi Nielsen July 22, 2012 at 10:23 pm - Reply

Nice photo. Looking forward to seeing the others. :)

5. John Henrick July 22, 2012 at 10:25 pm - Reply

I never thought that anyone else appreciated lone trees. I have some of such a tree during the winter time and in fog… if I can find it.

6. John Henrick July 22, 2012 at 10:25 pm - Reply

7. Brad Sloan July 22, 2012 at 10:31 pm - Reply

Cliche or not, love it.

8. Brad Sloan July 22, 2012 at 10:31 pm - Reply

Cliche or not, love it.

9. Dave Krugman July 22, 2012 at 10:34 pm - Reply

The stripe of the cornfield really makes it great too…

10. Dave Krugman July 22, 2012 at 10:34 pm - Reply

The stripe of the cornfield really makes it great too…

11. Steve Erickson July 22, 2012 at 10:36 pm - Reply

Living in Iowa I have to say that Iowa, Nebraska and Illinois are the three most boring states to drive through.  lol..

12. Marko Tatarac July 22, 2012 at 10:38 pm - Reply

apple cider background

13. Marko Tatarac July 22, 2012 at 10:38 pm - Reply

apple cider background

14. Eduardo rodriguez palma July 22, 2012 at 10:38 pm - Reply

EL ARBOL EN SOLITARIO.

15. Eduardo rodriguez palma July 22, 2012 at 10:38 pm - Reply

EL ARBOL EN SOLITARIO.

16. Christi Nielsen July 22, 2012 at 10:40 pm - Reply

+Steve Erickson haha I think that about most of Texas. :)

17. Christi Nielsen July 22, 2012 at 10:40 pm - Reply

+Steve Erickson haha I think that about most of Texas. :)

18. Steve Erickson July 22, 2012 at 10:48 pm - Reply

Well at least Texas has landscape to look at. Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois is all flat and all you see is corn, soybeans, pigs, cows and barns that are dilapidated. Lol

19. donna farris July 22, 2012 at 10:53 pm - Reply

nice pic

20. donna farris July 22, 2012 at 10:53 pm - Reply

nice pic

21. William Buker July 22, 2012 at 10:55 pm - Reply

Nicole, your right single trees that pop up amidst nothingness are intriguing. I was in Sasabo, Japan and had taken a trip by train to Nagasaki. On the way the landscape turned to rolling hills with no trees at all. We came around a corner and came upon one tree, in full foliage, about a 1/4 mile away. Nothing else around but that one tree. It was kind of a beacon of hope in that barren world.

22. William Buker July 22, 2012 at 10:55 pm - Reply

23. Steve Lofton July 22, 2012 at 11:03 pm - Reply

Wonderful scene

24. Steve Lofton July 22, 2012 at 11:03 pm - Reply

Wonderful scene

25. Ray Cornell July 22, 2012 at 11:07 pm - Reply

I'm also drawn to solitary trees as subjects but they are difficult to come by in my part of the country. Plenty of trees but very few standing all alone,  Whenever you can photograph one, there is no doubt your subject. Nice shot btw…I look forward to seeing more.

26. Ray Cornell July 22, 2012 at 11:07 pm - Reply

27. Ian Thomas July 22, 2012 at 11:10 pm - Reply

Yeah, I there is something about the lone tree that is so appealing. I am definitely a sucker for them. Lovely shot.

28. Ian Thomas July 22, 2012 at 11:10 pm - Reply

29. Monico Havier July 22, 2012 at 11:33 pm - Reply

Cool shot, +Nicole S. Young.

I think it looks like the a logo for a super cool independent movie studio. You even have the space above the tree to put the name of the movie studio. I can totally picture this in black and white on the big screen before a cool movie starts. "a Nicolesy Production"

30. Monico Havier July 22, 2012 at 11:33 pm - Reply

Cool shot, +Nicole S. Young.

31. Marko Tatarac July 22, 2012 at 11:52 pm - Reply

nicole…what was your inspiration…u2 Joshua Tree? just kidding..nice pic

32. Marko Tatarac July 22, 2012 at 11:52 pm - Reply

nicole…what was your inspiration…u2 Joshua Tree? just kidding..nice pic

33. claudia carrera July 23, 2012 at 1:02 am - Reply

No se para ustedes pero para mi es bonito

34. claudia carrera July 23, 2012 at 1:02 am - Reply

No se para ustedes pero para mi es bonito

35. Ethan Foley July 23, 2012 at 1:43 am - Reply

I really agree! I love taking pictures of old, isolated trees!

36. José Fernández July 23, 2012 at 2:03 am - Reply

genial foto, saludos!

37. José Fernández July 23, 2012 at 2:03 am - Reply

genial foto, saludos!

38. Nicole S. Young July 23, 2012 at 2:17 am - Reply

+Monico Havier Ha! I'll keep that in mind, maybe I'll integrate that into my tutorial videos :)

39. Nicole S. Young July 23, 2012 at 2:17 am - Reply

40. Ravindra Zodape July 23, 2012 at 2:22 am - Reply

sometime lonely feel good but not every time

41. Ravindra Zodape July 23, 2012 at 2:22 am - Reply

sometime lonely feel good but not every time

42. Guillermo Mera July 23, 2012 at 2:30 am - Reply

El mar, quiza Muy bonito, Pero esmuy triste la soledad Que se Siente ESTA UNO en Medio de la Nada

43. Guillermo Mera July 23, 2012 at 2:30 am - Reply

44. Guillermo Mera July 23, 2012 at 2:37 am - Reply

el comentario anterior no es como yo lo puse ,  algo paso es como sigue…quiza sea muy bonito el paisaje pero es muy triste, la soledad qu se siente, esta uno en medio de la nada

45. Guillermo Mera July 23, 2012 at 2:37 am - Reply

46. Jerry Young July 23, 2012 at 3:18 am - Reply

I admire singleton tree studies. Nice work

47. Jerry Young July 23, 2012 at 3:18 am - Reply

I admire singleton tree studies. Nice work

48. fili cortes July 23, 2012 at 3:38 am - Reply

me imagino un rato sentado, respirando aire limpio y puro

49. fili cortes July 23, 2012 at 3:38 am - Reply

me imagino un rato sentado, respirando aire limpio y puro

50. Sunitha Srinivasan July 23, 2012 at 4:43 am - Reply

"""the lonely times r wen u share d deepest secrets of ur heart!!!"""
    love to be alone:)

51. Sunitha Srinivasan July 23, 2012 at 4:43 am - Reply

"""the lonely times r wen u share d deepest secrets of ur heart!!!"""
    love to be alone:)

52. Diego Chacon July 23, 2012 at 5:17 am - Reply

nice pick

53. Diego Chacon July 23, 2012 at 5:17 am - Reply

nice pick

54. Steve Kalman July 23, 2012 at 10:30 am - Reply

I have been looking (locally) for a tree like that. Beautiful, deciduous and sort of alone in a field. My "bucket list" of photos includes a trypych of the same tree showing spring/summer, fall color and winter barren (with snow).

Excellent shot.

55. Steve Kalman July 23, 2012 at 10:30 am - Reply

Excellent shot.

56. nas alpasha July 23, 2012 at 11:03 am - Reply

Very sad view it reminded us the loneliness ..

57. nas alpasha July 23, 2012 at 11:03 am - Reply

Very sad view it reminded us the loneliness ..

58. Emmanuel Q. M. July 23, 2012 at 3:15 pm - Reply

respect our nature

64. Anna Barnaś July 25, 2012 at 12:04 pm - Reply

WoW

65. Anna Barnaś July 25, 2012 at 12:04 pm - Reply

WoW

66. Gustavo alejandro Rodriguez July 25, 2012 at 9:25 pm - Reply

Arbol tan solito y triste,pero la foto es genial.

67. Gustavo alejandro Rodriguez July 25, 2012 at 9:25 pm - Reply

Arbol tan solito y triste,pero la foto es genial.

68. Gailen Mapes July 29, 2012 at 2:56 am - Reply

Nice job!

69. Gailen Mapes July 29, 2012 at 2:56 am - Reply

Nice job!

70. Huyen Dang August 16, 2012 at 7:32 am - Reply

Perfect

71. Huyen Dang August 16, 2012 at 7:32 am - Reply

Perfect

72. ISHTIAQ KHAN September 6, 2012 at 10:49 am - Reply

A WONDER FUL SCENE LIKE U

73. ISHTIAQ KHAN September 6, 2012 at 10:49 am - Reply

A WONDER FUL SCENE LIKE U

74. Carlos Alberto Souza December 23, 2012 at 1:35 pm - Reply

nicole a de carlosalbertosouza1956@gmail e seu comentario sobre a foto 100 e voce 1000 emuito mas criativa.

75. Irshad Khan December 25, 2012 at 7:50 am - Reply