Figs on Barnwood

|, Food, Photography|Figs on Barnwood

Figs on Barnwood

By | 2016-12-18T17:01:04+00:00 July 18th, 2012|52 Comments

I made an impulse buy at the grocery store yesterday … I saw these figs (along with some other beautiful produce from local farms) and just couldn’t resist them. When I see something beautiful, it’s difficult to not want to put it in front of my camera. :)

It also gave me a good chance to really utilize the new barnwood tabletop I acquired a few weeks ago. I found this one online, and also found some more interesting wood for my food-setups at the +Habitat for Humanity “ReStore” here in Seattle. Those stores are excellent for finding bits and pieces for your house … and as a photographer I tend to go there on the lookout for interesting props.

1. kimberly pemberton July 18, 2012 at 12:28 am - Reply

impulse buy?
    but where's the chips and ice cream?

2. kimberly pemberton July 18, 2012 at 12:28 am - Reply

impulse buy?
    but where's the chips and ice cream?

3. James Baroz July 18, 2012 at 12:28 am - Reply

tests great!

9. Yusuf Ocak July 18, 2012 at 12:34 am - Reply

jam is very tasty.

10. Yusuf Ocak July 18, 2012 at 12:34 am - Reply

jam is very tasty.

11. PJ Ammidon July 18, 2012 at 12:35 am - Reply

love the color combination!

12. PJ Ammidon July 18, 2012 at 12:35 am - Reply

love the color combination!

13. LOLA PAZ July 18, 2012 at 12:35 am - Reply

I love figs! Great picture!  Yes very tasty!

14. LOLA PAZ July 18, 2012 at 12:35 am - Reply

I love figs! Great picture!  Yes very tasty!

15. Sergey Bidun July 18, 2012 at 12:40 am - Reply

Nice clean picture, and they taste so good too!

16. Sergey Bidun July 18, 2012 at 12:40 am - Reply

Nice clean picture, and they taste so good too!

17. Brad Sloan July 18, 2012 at 12:40 am - Reply

That's what they put in Fig Newtons? Woah.

18. Brad Sloan July 18, 2012 at 12:40 am - Reply

That's what they put in Fig Newtons? Woah.

19. kimberly pemberton July 18, 2012 at 12:42 am - Reply

you should see what they put in chicken McNuggets +Brad Sloan ….  *huge eyes*

20. kimberly pemberton July 18, 2012 at 12:42 am - Reply

you should see what they put in chicken McNuggets +Brad Sloan ….  *huge eyes*

21. Brad Sloan July 18, 2012 at 12:43 am - Reply

Pass the pink slime.  Mmmmm

22. Brad Sloan July 18, 2012 at 12:43 am - Reply

Pass the pink slime.  Mmmmm

23. Ron Spoto July 18, 2012 at 12:45 am - Reply

They look good enough to eat.

24. Ivan Makarov July 18, 2012 at 1:00 am - Reply

Yum yum!!

25. Ivan Makarov July 18, 2012 at 1:00 am - Reply

Yum yum!!

26. Paul R. Giunta July 18, 2012 at 1:24 am - Reply

We have been indulging on figs for the last few weeks here!  Nothing is quite like them!

27. Paul R. Giunta July 18, 2012 at 1:24 am - Reply

28. Charles Smith July 18, 2012 at 1:54 am - Reply

These and strawberries are my favorites. Funny how I love fruits that give such interesting macro still life images. Inspirational capture.

29. Charles Smith July 18, 2012 at 1:54 am - Reply

30. Anna Bartolini July 18, 2012 at 2:10 am - Reply

Beautiful subject and wood, especially love the shadows on the wood. There is a Habitat "ReStore" in Monterey/Sand City, CA, too.

31. Anna Bartolini July 18, 2012 at 2:10 am - Reply

32. Nicole S. Young July 18, 2012 at 2:51 am - Reply

+Anna Bartolini I used to live in Monterey … just for a few years. LOVE that part of Cali, really want to take a trip down the coast with my camera one day. :)

33. Nicole S. Young July 18, 2012 at 2:51 am - Reply

34. Ryan 'george' Perez July 18, 2012 at 4:03 am - Reply

My mouth is watering!

35. Ryan 'george' Perez July 18, 2012 at 4:03 am - Reply

My mouth is watering!

36. Ryan 'george' Perez July 18, 2012 at 4:23 am - Reply

Been enjoying looking at your work. How did you get into food photography?

37. Ryan 'george' Perez July 18, 2012 at 4:23 am - Reply

Been enjoying looking at your work. How did you get into food photography?

38. Anna Bartolini July 18, 2012 at 4:46 am - Reply

+Nicole S. Young We moved here about a year and a half ago from NYC, needed nature and the chance to see the sky. Can't get much better than this! We are opening a small restaurant in Carmel. Love seeing your food photography – inspiring me for the work I have ahead promoting the food in our new place. We are so excited to work with local farmers here!

39. Anna Bartolini July 18, 2012 at 4:46 am - Reply

40. Nicole S. Young July 18, 2012 at 4:48 am - Reply

+Ryan 'george' Perez I love food, and was already a photographer so it just seemed like a good genre to try. :)

+Anna Bartolini If and when I make my way down the coast I'll be sure to stop by your restaurant! :)

41. Nicole S. Young July 18, 2012 at 4:48 am - Reply

42. James Brandon July 18, 2012 at 5:08 am - Reply

OMG I had never tried figs until I went to Italy last year. In Varenna we went to some really nice and really expensive restaurant and I had figs in some sort of dish with real Italian balsamic vinegar drizzled over them. It was seriously one of the best things I've ever had in my life.

43. James Brandon July 18, 2012 at 5:08 am - Reply

44. georgia forehand July 18, 2012 at 7:36 am - Reply

i dont like figs but i love fig newtons :)

45. georgia forehand July 18, 2012 at 7:36 am - Reply

i dont like figs but i love fig newtons :)

46. Melanie Kintz July 18, 2012 at 7:59 am - Reply

i am still looking for something like a barnwood table… Lovely image.
    BTW, I tried out your lighting set up from the other week (https://plus.google.com/photos/113097851206100618060/albums/5760659543069458129/5764075926645738354) – it did not work perfectly for me due to my own "studio" limitations – but it worked well enough for some really pleasing photos (in one image I had a problem with burned edges – too much light on reflecting sides, the other main problem was lighting my foreground) However, I do not think that without you sharing your posts and set ups I'd been able to create these images at all and pay attention to all the details that you mention in your book. So while I will keep on learning, I thank you for all you share, all the helpful tips you provide and all the inspiration and motivation that you bring. Thank you!

47. Melanie Kintz July 18, 2012 at 7:59 am - Reply

i am still looking for something like a barnwood table… Lovely image.

48. Darlene Hildebrandt July 18, 2012 at 8:23 am - Reply

That's funny. When I was doing food I had so many one of plates, bowls, place mats, etc. I know how that goes.

49. Darlene Hildebrandt July 18, 2012 at 8:23 am - Reply

50. Darlene Hildebrandt July 18, 2012 at 8:23 am - Reply

Lovely symmetry in your image

51. Darlene Hildebrandt July 18, 2012 at 8:23 am - Reply

Lovely symmetry in your image

52. David Lampbert July 18, 2012 at 8:39 am - Reply

Hi friend. Just a quick reminder. The winner of the contest and the 1000 USD will be announced the 14th of August 2012. The upload will be open and continue until then for the contest.

All you need to do to participate in the contest:

1. Register at http://www.youpic.com

2. Upload some photos (unlimited)

3. Tag photos with #ypa2012

Let me know when done so I can share for you to get a kickstart.