Beautiful Nebraska

|, Photography, Travel|Beautiful Nebraska

Beautiful Nebraska

By | 2015-04-08T13:54:06+00:00 July 6th, 2012|63 Comments

A few days ago I went on a back-roads adventure in Nebraska with +Brian Matiash. Our plan was to end up at the abandoned church, which we learned about from +Clark Crenshaw (thanks!). :) The church was easy to spot off of the Interstate so we thought we would drive around a bit to see what else we could find in the area.

We’d passed a few hay-bails along the roads around Lincoln, and Brian was intrigued by them. When we were driving around I spotted a huge empty field with a couple of them (with no fence, yay!) so we we parked on the side of the road and walked out about 50 yards with our gear to get to one of them.

After getting our shots we jumped back in the car and head out to the church. Once we figured out where to park, we grabbed our gear and started trekking through the (tick-filled) grass. This awesome sign was along the way, so I was sure to get some photos of it before moving on. (And, by getting down low I not only got a different perspective, but the ticks made their way into my hair … yippee!) :/

When we made it to the church, I think Brian was in Heaven. :) The sky was clear, which actually made for a nice, clean background, which I thought looked beautiful … and maybe I’ll even play around with replacing the sky, just for funzies, to see what kinds of results I can get.

Here’s the “Behind the Lens” post of the church so you can take a look at my basic setup and the gear I used: http://bit.ly/L6a31i

1. Meghdad Khoshjan July 6, 2012 at 4:24 pm - Reply

Beautiful

2. Meghdad Khoshjan July 6, 2012 at 4:24 pm - Reply

Beautiful

3. Ian Thomas July 6, 2012 at 4:25 pm - Reply

That church is gorgeous!

4. Ian Thomas July 6, 2012 at 4:25 pm - Reply

That church is gorgeous!

5. Anson Jett July 6, 2012 at 4:26 pm - Reply

Ov

6. Anson Jett July 6, 2012 at 4:26 pm - Reply

Ov

7. Wendy Mann July 6, 2012 at 4:27 pm - Reply

Really pretty!!! Love the grass and simplicity of the shots! :)

8. Wendy Mann July 6, 2012 at 4:27 pm - Reply

Really pretty!!! Love the grass and simplicity of the shots! :)

9. Joe Frazee July 6, 2012 at 4:33 pm - Reply

Love the old inn sign.

10. Joe Frazee July 6, 2012 at 4:33 pm - Reply

Love the old inn sign.

11. Ana Andrés July 6, 2012 at 4:45 pm - Reply

Each individual shot is great and they suit eachother perfectly in this composition as well. Very pretty! :)

12. Ana Andrés July 6, 2012 at 4:45 pm - Reply

13. John C. Thomas July 6, 2012 at 4:58 pm - Reply

Reminds me of Iowa!

14. John C. Thomas July 6, 2012 at 4:58 pm - Reply

Reminds me of Iowa!

15. Nicole S. Young July 6, 2012 at 4:59 pm - Reply

+John C. Thomas They're not too different, from my experience. :)

16. Nicole S. Young July 6, 2012 at 4:59 pm - Reply

+John C. Thomas They're not too different, from my experience. :)

17. John C. Thomas July 6, 2012 at 5:03 pm - Reply

When you see it every day it sometimes is hard to see the beauty of the flat lands.  NE Iowa and the Mississippi River Valley is beautiful especially in the fall.

18. John C. Thomas July 6, 2012 at 5:03 pm - Reply

19. Anson Jett July 6, 2012 at 5:08 pm - Reply

Nicole, Outstanding capture, wonderful shot!

20. Anson Jett July 6, 2012 at 5:08 pm - Reply

Nicole, Outstanding capture, wonderful shot!

21. Nicole S. Young July 6, 2012 at 5:18 pm - Reply

+John C. Thomas Exactly. I grew up here and always thought it was boring. Now, after living away from home for nearly 15 years (and being a photographer) I can appreciate the beauty of it all. :)

22. Nicole S. Young July 6, 2012 at 5:18 pm - Reply

23. Aaron July 6, 2012 at 10:23 am - Reply

For some reason that church photo makes me think of the closing scene in the movie “The Rock”.

24. Tressa Crozier July 6, 2012 at 5:39 pm - Reply

+Nicole S. Young, what a wonderful place to spend some time…it's beautiful!

25. Tressa Crozier July 6, 2012 at 5:39 pm - Reply

+Nicole S. Young, what a wonderful place to spend some time…it's beautiful!

26. Christy Frazier July 6, 2012 at 5:41 pm - Reply

I love getting out and looking for new views for my lens!  Love these and hope you got all the ticks out. :)

27. Christy Frazier July 6, 2012 at 5:41 pm - Reply

28. trav whitmer July 6, 2012 at 5:46 pm - Reply

i love the old sign, and how the different sizes of the pictures in the collage suits each subject, with the tall sign in the tallest frame, etc..

29. trav whitmer July 6, 2012 at 5:46 pm - Reply

30. Adithya Thaduri July 6, 2012 at 5:58 pm - Reply

Wonderful, how to make this collage?

31. Adithya Thaduri July 6, 2012 at 5:58 pm - Reply

Wonderful, how to make this collage?

32. John C. Thomas July 6, 2012 at 5:59 pm - Reply

Trav if you like the old signs dig around here

33. John C. Thomas July 6, 2012 at 5:59 pm - Reply

Trav if you like the old signs dig around here

34. Nicole S. Young July 6, 2012 at 6:03 pm - Reply

+Adithya Thaduri I use an app called PicFrame, here's a link with more info: https://plus.google.com/u/0/113097851206100618060/posts/DgpFRgmSjLb

35. Nicole S. Young July 6, 2012 at 6:03 pm - Reply

36. Adithya Thaduri July 6, 2012 at 6:06 pm - Reply

Thanks +Nicole S. Young :) Ohh I am using Android. Is there any chance releasing in android version?

37. Adithya Thaduri July 6, 2012 at 6:06 pm - Reply

38. trav whitmer July 6, 2012 at 6:22 pm - Reply

+John C. Thomas  neat, flickr is blocked at work, but i'll look at it later.

also, i've been doing collages the hard way by hand in gimp. i'll check that app, too, +Nicole S. Young oh, except it's for iphone.. will have to look for similar for pc

39. trav whitmer July 6, 2012 at 6:22 pm - Reply

+John C. Thomas  neat, flickr is blocked at work, but i'll look at it later.

40. John C. Thomas July 6, 2012 at 6:52 pm - Reply

Nicole S. Young those do not look like shots from your android phone?

41. John C. Thomas July 6, 2012 at 6:52 pm - Reply

Nicole S. Young those do not look like shots from your android phone?

42. Nicole S. Young July 6, 2012 at 7:14 pm - Reply

+John C. Thomas I have it on my iPad, and import the photos from the SD card in my 5DMkIII to make these collages. I also have it on my Mac, and my iPhone.

43. Nicole S. Young July 6, 2012 at 7:14 pm - Reply

44. Michael Preston July 6, 2012 at 7:21 pm - Reply

Really diggin' your multiple image presentations lately, Nicole. Great job on great images! :)

45. Michael Preston July 6, 2012 at 7:21 pm - Reply

46. John C. Thomas July 6, 2012 at 7:52 pm - Reply

So I'm not a fan of iPhoto because it's always wanting to sync all my iPhone pix even though they have already been synced.  Maybe you should do one of your two minute tips on syncing  or lets say adding pix to your iPad for viewing?

47. John C. Thomas July 6, 2012 at 7:52 pm - Reply

48. Nicole S. Young July 6, 2012 at 8:01 pm - Reply

+John C. Thomas Have you considered using +Dropbox? They have a new "camera upload" feature where you can have it sync images from your devices to a folder in your Dropbox. I'm trying it out now and like it better than photo-stream (since I don't use iPhoto or Aperture).

49. Nicole S. Young July 6, 2012 at 8:01 pm - Reply

50. Nicole S. Young July 6, 2012 at 8:06 pm - Reply

+Michael Preston Thanks! I'm usually traveling and away from my "work" computer. Since I don't trust the color/tones on my MacBook Air (my "travel" laptop) and don't want to upload an image I'm not proud or certain of, these collages are kind of my way around that. I just do a quick edit with Snapseed on my iPad and merge them with the PicFrame app. I think they tell a better story, too, especially of an entire day's worth of shooting.

51. Nicole S. Young July 6, 2012 at 8:06 pm - Reply

52. John C. Thomas July 6, 2012 at 8:11 pm - Reply

You have to love Snapseed but have you tried Laminar yet?  It was free last week in the app store.  http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/laminar/id477581818?mt=8

53. John C. Thomas July 6, 2012 at 8:11 pm - Reply

54. Kyle Whitney July 6, 2012 at 9:08 pm - Reply

The ticks are bad this year. Great photos! I'm enjoying my time "back home" as well :)

55. Kyle Whitney July 6, 2012 at 9:08 pm - Reply

56. Nicole S. Young July 6, 2012 at 9:18 pm - Reply

+John C. Thomas Thanks, downloading now. I'll try it out! (I'm a sucker for new photo app recommendations.)

57. Nicole S. Young July 6, 2012 at 9:18 pm - Reply

58. John C. Thomas July 6, 2012 at 9:22 pm - Reply

Yep I with you on that, now all you have to do is to pick which app to use. I'm so confused.

59. John C. Thomas July 6, 2012 at 9:22 pm - Reply

60. Jeramy Phillips July 17, 2012 at 4:02 pm - Reply

My wife & I kicked off our honeymoon nearly 20 years ago from the Milford Inn after our wedding in Seward.

Thanks for sharing.