At the Grain Silo

Home|Blog, Photography|At the Grain Silo

I took +Brian Matiash out to a grain silo here in Lincoln, NE the other day. He’s a huge fan (and master of) “urbex” photography and we thought we’d give this a try. It was Sunday afternoon, the place was completely empty and we had a shady spot on this side of the silo so we were able to have a nice, relaxing time.

I grew up in Lincoln but never really ran around with my camera too much (I was too busy photographing the football games for my High School yearbook) so being in my hometown with him is also a big eye-opener for me, too. Plus, I’m new to urbex and it’s fun trying new genres of photography.

We plan on doing lots of landscape photography, too. Believe it or not, it’s actually quite beautiful here in Nebraska. :) It’s not the “obvious” beauty you’d find in photographing a moss-lined waterfall or stunning mountain range, but more of the type you need to search for. I’m excited to just drive around and look for beautiful scenes … maybe we’ll get lucky and find an old decrepit barn in the middle of a cornfield on our journey. :)

By | 2015-04-08T13:53:42+00:00 July 2nd, 2012|22 Comments

1. Jon M July 2, 2012 at 5:38 pm - Reply

I love old, gritty, worn surfaces like that.  :-)

2. Jon M July 2, 2012 at 5:38 pm - Reply

I love old, gritty, worn surfaces like that.  :-)

3. Kalebra Kelby July 2, 2012 at 5:39 pm - Reply

Can't wait to see what you two come up with. Have fun you crazy kids! ;)

4. Kalebra Kelby July 2, 2012 at 5:39 pm - Reply

Can't wait to see what you two come up with. Have fun you crazy kids! ;)

5. Terrell Woods July 2, 2012 at 5:40 pm - Reply

Keep cool you two I hear there's a heatwave around them parts

6. Terrell Woods July 2, 2012 at 5:40 pm - Reply

Keep cool you two I hear there's a heatwave around them parts

7. Josh Males July 2, 2012 at 5:46 pm - Reply

This is great, I just moved to Lincoln last week and haven't had a chance to explore much. Keep us posted on what you find.

8. Josh Males July 2, 2012 at 5:46 pm - Reply

9. Chris Bagley July 2, 2012 at 5:49 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash definately looks like he's in his happy place! Of coarse he's with you so that should be a given anyways.

10. Chris Bagley July 2, 2012 at 5:49 pm - Reply

11. Brian Matiash July 2, 2012 at 5:50 pm - Reply

Awwwwww – thanks for the sweet words, babe! I have to say, I am so surprised with everything that I've seen in Lincoln and Nebraska as a whole. That grain elevator shoot was better than I could have expected and it was the best way to kick off the week.

+Chris Bagley Very true – hard not to be happy with a Nicolesy on your arm.

+Terrell Woods It is ridiculously humid but the sweet thing about yesterday's grain elevator shoot was that all of the good shots were on the side of the silos that were casting shadows, so we were relatively cool and totally out of the sun. It was perfect, too, because it gave us relatively flat light and made the dynamic range of the scene very manageable.

12. Brian Matiash July 2, 2012 at 5:50 pm - Reply

+Chris Bagley Very true – hard not to be happy with a Nicolesy on your arm.

13. Rich Williams July 2, 2012 at 6:05 pm - Reply

That man looks familiar.

14. Rich Williams July 2, 2012 at 6:05 pm - Reply

That man looks familiar.

15. Tal Stump July 2, 2012 at 6:38 pm - Reply

good vision

16. Tal Stump July 2, 2012 at 6:38 pm - Reply

good vision

17. Srini Radhakrishnan July 2, 2012 at 6:45 pm - Reply

+Nicole S. Young Hi Nicole, this is superb. Though the word 'surreal' springs to mind (given the juxtaposition of many elements in unexpected ways), since it's an often misused term, I have to think of some other way.

The composition is superb with vertical and horizontal lines interacting to a point where they present 2 dimensional paper sketch type context.

I am of the view that you should explore this and people photography as much as landscape.

Warm wishes to you both.

18. Srini Radhakrishnan July 2, 2012 at 6:45 pm - Reply

Warm wishes to you both.

19. Kyle Whitney July 2, 2012 at 8:11 pm - Reply

Pretty gritty. I like it.

20. Kyle Whitney July 2, 2012 at 8:11 pm - Reply

Pretty gritty. I like it.

21. Suzanne Llewellyn July 3, 2012 at 12:30 am - Reply