Ruckel Creek Falls

|, Photography|Ruckel Creek Falls

Ruckel Creek Falls

By | 2016-12-18T17:01:05+00:00 June 27th, 2012|43 Comments

I’m in Portland right now, and with my friend +David Daniels in town over the weekend it was a great excuse to head over to the Columbia River Gorge (along with my man +Brian Matiash) and find ourselves a waterfall. It’s not like I really need an excuse, since this area is one of my favorite places to be. I also figured that today was a good day to post a #waterfallwednesday  image (curated by the great +Eric Leslie). :)

I used the “Northwest Waterfall Survey” site (http://www.waterfallsnorthwest.com/nws/) to located this waterfall, and the trail to get there wasn’t completely obvious but once I broke through the trees and saw the falls I was giddy like a schoolgirl. We were here for almost two hours but I could have stayed and kept creating photos until the sun was completely set. I also had fun sloshing through the water to get the good shots … my feet were soaked, I need to remember a dry pair of socks next time :)

Also, I’m kind of considering getting a hand-held GPS device to make the more challenging, hidden-away waterfalls and other locations easier to find. Any recommendations or advice for those who already have one or used one in the past?

1. Antonio Souza June 27, 2012 at 7:07 pm - Reply
  2. Antonio Souza June 27, 2012 at 7:07 pm - Reply
  3. Rene BERNHARD June 27, 2012 at 7:08 pm - Reply

This is absolutely wonderful.

4. Rene BERNHARD June 27, 2012 at 7:08 pm - Reply

This is absolutely wonderful.

5. Bob Decker June 27, 2012 at 7:14 pm - Reply

Great exposure, especially the creative use of shutter speed to soften the water. Thanks for sharing.

6. Bob Decker June 27, 2012 at 7:14 pm - Reply

7. A. 'Tygenco' Breiling June 27, 2012 at 7:21 pm - Reply

Beautiful use of shutter speed. The whole place looks very peaceful :)

8. A. 'Tygenco' Breiling June 27, 2012 at 7:21 pm - Reply

Beautiful use of shutter speed. The whole place looks very peaceful :)

9. Eric Leslie June 27, 2012 at 7:22 pm - Reply

You must be exaggerating to call me great, but this shot of the waterfall is great though!

For GPS, I've been using my smart phone. Lookup GeoTagPhotos Pro and you can later sync the coordinates in LR4. An on camera device would be nice though so you don't have to sync them later.

10. Eric Leslie June 27, 2012 at 7:22 pm - Reply

11. Kamal Singh June 27, 2012 at 7:31 pm - Reply

Beautiful shot

12. Kamal Singh June 27, 2012 at 7:31 pm - Reply

Beautiful shot

13. Josh Norem June 27, 2012 at 10:16 pm - Reply

Very nice!

14. Josh Norem June 27, 2012 at 10:16 pm - Reply

Very nice!

15. Patricia Davidson June 27, 2012 at 11:20 pm - Reply

How fun!  Wish I was shooting waterfalls right now.  My hubby loves Garmin GPS units and of course his goes with us on every hike.

16. Patricia Davidson June 27, 2012 at 11:20 pm - Reply

17. Paul Beiser June 28, 2012 at 3:20 am - Reply

Very nice shot, a bit different but I can't quite pinpoint what/how. ! Oregon 450 is an awesome GPS for hiking and consistently one of the best selling ones, I have had mine for some time.

18. Paul Beiser June 28, 2012 at 3:20 am - Reply

19. Michael Hatten June 28, 2012 at 6:40 am - Reply

Garmin is really a good GPS for handhelds. I sold more of them than Magellans at my last job and we got less returns on them as well.

If I may suggest a book called Curious Gorge by Scott Cook.
    (I believe I have an image of it in my photos section here on G+.)
    He knows of the obscure places to visit in the Gorge be them waterfalls, historic places and places famous movies were filmed.

20. Michael Hatten June 28, 2012 at 6:40 am - Reply

If I may suggest a book called Curious Gorge by Scott Cook.
    (I believe I have an image of it in my photos section here on G+.)

21. Scott Oblander June 28, 2012 at 7:46 pm - Reply

Delorme PN series are also very nice handheld units.  I believe they also come with topo maps included in the price.

22. Scott Oblander June 28, 2012 at 7:46 pm - Reply

23. Nicole S. Young June 28, 2012 at 8:07 pm - Reply

+Michael Hatten We have that book! I need to look thru it more, thanks for the reminder. :)

24. Nicole S. Young June 28, 2012 at 8:07 pm - Reply

25. Congratulations!

26. Congratulations!

27. Chris Lazzery June 30, 2012 at 2:43 pm - Reply

Nice one Nicole, love the comp here. Super vibrant greens!

28. Chris Lazzery June 30, 2012 at 2:43 pm - Reply

Nice one Nicole, love the comp here. Super vibrant greens!

29. wajid ali July 1, 2012 at 1:30 pm - Reply

nice

30. wajid ali July 1, 2012 at 1:30 pm - Reply

nice

31. Krishna kanth July 1, 2012 at 1:42 pm - Reply

great photos

32. Krishna kanth July 1, 2012 at 1:42 pm - Reply

great photos

33. celal eker July 1, 2012 at 8:57 pm - Reply

very nice

34. celal eker July 1, 2012 at 8:57 pm - Reply

very nice

35. Melanie @ Nutritious Eats July 2, 2012 at 2:27 pm - Reply

Are you kidding? This shot is gorgeous! Let me know when you are back and settled- maybe we can meet for coffee or dinner soon!

36. Isabel Resa Cerrillo July 8, 2012 at 7:41 pm - Reply

Preciosa foto

37. Isabel Resa Cerrillo July 8, 2012 at 7:41 pm - Reply

Preciosa foto

38. Richard Finch August 4, 2012 at 3:54 pm - Reply

Thanks for the tip and the link for the waterfall survey – maybe that will be m next vacation the great Northwest

39. Richard Finch August 4, 2012 at 3:54 pm - Reply

40. Isabel Resa Cerrillo August 4, 2012 at 4:38 pm - Reply

Me ha gustado mucho. Enhorabuena

41. Isabel Resa Cerrillo August 4, 2012 at 4:38 pm - Reply

Me ha gustado mucho. Enhorabuena

42. Lászlóné Kiss October 28, 2012 at 8:50 pm - Reply

Gyönyörü

43. Huyền Trịnh Thị November 2, 2012 at 2:16 pm - Reply

Thác nước đẹp, mềm mại quá chừng!!!