Kerry Park

|, Photography|Kerry Park

Kerry Park

By | 2016-12-18T17:01:05+00:00 June 22nd, 2012|29 Comments

My good friend +David Daniels is visiting me in Seattle and Portland, and yesterday was our “Seattle” day. We hit Pike Place market, Westlake Center, went up the Space Needle and then hit Kerry Park, the iconic “postcard photograph” spot, before heading out to dinner.

Last night was a nice sunset, nothing glorious, but we both got some good color and clouds. And the cool part was we got there early so the sky was clear and Mt. Rainier was visible (the clouds covered it up eventually). I stuck on my filters to blur the clouds and smooth out the sky for many of my images, even for this one (subtle yet effective).

We’re heading out to Portland this morning … and taking the scenic route (yay!). I’ve been wanting to drive down the coast to Portland for a while so bringing another photographer who wants to explore the PNW was the perfect excuse to make the trip. :)

1. Chris E June 22, 2012 at 3:21 pm - Reply

Delicious image Nicolesy! :)

2. Chris E June 22, 2012 at 3:21 pm - Reply

Delicious image Nicolesy! :)

3. Maria Stepanov Sommerfield June 22, 2012 at 3:21 pm - Reply

I <3 Seattle.

4. Maria Stepanov Sommerfield June 22, 2012 at 3:21 pm - Reply

I <3 Seattle.

5. Brian Bonham June 22, 2012 at 3:21 pm - Reply

Beautiful shot!

Well you know where to get a good burger now when you hit Portland ;)

6. Brian Bonham June 22, 2012 at 3:21 pm - Reply

Beautiful shot!

Well you know where to get a good burger now when you hit Portland ;)

7. Danielle Newcomer June 22, 2012 at 3:24 pm - Reply

I work on the 10th floor across from the needle everyday :)

8. Danielle Newcomer June 22, 2012 at 3:24 pm - Reply

I work on the 10th floor across from the needle everyday :)

9. Mike Sims June 22, 2012 at 3:33 pm - Reply

Great shot!

10. Mike Sims June 22, 2012 at 3:33 pm - Reply

Great shot!

11. Chris Summers June 22, 2012 at 3:37 pm - Reply

Sounds like Juneuary is almost over and some real summer weather is around the corner.

12. Chris Summers June 22, 2012 at 3:37 pm - Reply

13. Daniel Ewert June 22, 2012 at 3:38 pm - Reply

Very nice twilight exposure of this beautiful city!

14. Daniel Ewert June 22, 2012 at 3:38 pm - Reply

Very nice twilight exposure of this beautiful city!

15. Peter de Rooij June 22, 2012 at 4:30 pm - Reply

You almost sound apologetic about this.  Nothing earth shattering new maybe, but it doesn't need to be.  It's a very nice image, that I would have been happy and proud to make myself.

16. Peter de Rooij June 22, 2012 at 4:30 pm - Reply

17. Nicole S. Young June 22, 2012 at 5:04 pm - Reply

+Peter de Rooij Maybe I sounded that way, it wasn't intentional. :) I do like the photo, it's always nice to get a classic photo with our own cameras, right? :)

18. Peter de Rooij June 22, 2012 at 5:24 pm - Reply

Exactly what I meant!

19. Peter de Rooij June 22, 2012 at 5:24 pm - Reply

Exactly what I meant!

20. Marisa June 22, 2012 at 10:34 am - Reply

Beautiful sky color! How late was it when you took that? We’re heading from Portland to Seattle next week, and Kerry Park is definitely on my list. The park looks tiny. . . would it be strange for my little family to have a picnic there before I shoot?

• Nicole June 24, 2012 at 3:34 pm - Reply

It was just after sunset when I photographed that, probably between 9:30 and 10:00 PM. It’s a small park, but you should be able to have a picnic. The small grass area doesn’t usually have people on it since they’re all lined up at the gate area to view the city.

21. Nicole S. Young June 22, 2012 at 5:04 pm - Reply

22. Claudia June 23, 2012 at 6:24 am - Reply

Would love to see one of your images when “the mountain was out”.

23. Scott Oblander June 24, 2012 at 2:24 am - Reply

Love shots from Kerry Park.  Here's one of mine:

24. Scott Oblander June 24, 2012 at 2:24 am - Reply

Love shots from Kerry Park.  Here's one of mine:

25. Natasha McEachron June 27, 2012 at 9:07 pm - Reply

I’ve recently developed a strong interest in visiting Seattle (especially Pike Place Market). I’ll have to add the Space Needle to my list of places to visit. Great photos!

26. Richard Wichels July 8, 2012 at 12:22 pm - Reply

I really like the detail you pulled out using f16. I can almost see people eating dinner in the needle and the star effect in the lamps is great. I also enjoyed your food photography and plan on buying “Plug in with OnOne Software” later this year. I have never gone to Kerry Park–much less photographed from that location—I may head there now. Thanks for sharing.

27. Lyon J Till July 10, 2012 at 9:46 pm - Reply