LIL Galleries: Opening and Photowalk

Home|Google+, Photography, Photowalk, Timelapse, Videos|LIL Galleries: Opening and Photowalk

A few weeks ago Karen Hutton came out to Portland for the opening of LIL Galleries (lilgalleries.com). There was a good turnout, and it fell on the “First Friday” at the building so a bunch of people were there checking out other local businesses and artists. The actual “gallery” is in the janitor’s closet (seriously) but looks beautiful and was flanked by dozens of gorgeous prints from the artists (listed below) hanging on the walls.

There was definitely some amazing talent at this event and it was a very unique and beautiful viewing experience. To watch the videos shown in the gallery featuring work from Karen Hutton, Brian Matiash, Jaime Ibarra and Ricardo Lagos, check out the LIL Galleries YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LILGalleries

For the video: I was inspired by Petra Cross‘s stop-motion technique so I decided to create one of my own which spanned over two days, showing the gallery opening and the photowalk in PDX. It was really fun to create (I used my Fuji x100), and since I’m already familiar with creating timelapse movies this was just a variation of that process. So much fun … thanks for the inspiration, Petra!

BTW, I love how the random thumbnail picked a photo of me and Brian! :)

Music in the video is CC licensed from Josh Woodward … love his music! :)

By | 2016-12-18T17:01:05+00:00 June 14th, 2012|28 Comments

1. Brian Matiash June 14, 2012 at 4:57 pm - Reply

What a fantastic video! I can't imagine a better and more sentimental way to encapsulate what took place across those two events. Thanks for taking the time to do this for all of us, +Nicole S. Young!

2. Jay Patel June 14, 2012 at 5:03 pm - Reply

Good to see you guys again. :-)))

3. Brian Bonham June 14, 2012 at 5:04 pm - Reply

Really excellent video +Nicole S. Young!  Love it!  It was a great event!

4. Gilmar Smith June 14, 2012 at 5:06 pm - Reply

I soooooooo Love this +Nicole S. Young!!!!!

5. Joseph Fanvu June 14, 2012 at 5:06 pm - Reply

cool video! love it

6. Cameron Siguenza June 14, 2012 at 5:10 pm - Reply

Very well done :) it is fun to see everything that happened, I would have liked to have attended to support some of my favorite people / artists.

7. Joe Dolister June 14, 2012 at 5:13 pm - Reply

Nicole, this is simply amazing! You are Amazing!

8. Karen Hutton June 14, 2012 at 5:15 pm - Reply

Oh +Nicole S. Young… I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes. This is  SO FREAKING INCREDIBLE!!! What a amazing amount of work, love, thought and brilliance you've put into this. I love it more than I can ever say. THANK YOU for doing it, for honoring us… and expanding your own world in the process. That's the entire spirit of LIL GALLERIES, right there. You need to do more of these!!! xoxoxox

9. Angie Smith June 14, 2012 at 5:24 pm - Reply

Love it!  Thanks for sharing.

10. Linda Walker June 14, 2012 at 5:29 pm - Reply

Excellent work….love it!

11. Chris Smith June 14, 2012 at 5:29 pm - Reply

This is so awesome and perfect! Love it!

Say, what software do you use to create the timelapse?

12. Nicole S. Young June 14, 2012 at 5:33 pm - Reply

+Chris Smith I combined the images using Quicktime 7, but it's pretty dated and not everyone can get it. You can also do it with Photoshop if you have that. To put the rest of the video together I used Photoshop CS6 … it has a nifty new format for editing video. :)

BTW, be sure to check out +Petra Cross's stop-motion tutorial: http://www.petracross.com/2000-photos-in-3-minutes

13. Brian Matiash June 14, 2012 at 5:34 pm - Reply

+Nicole S. Young Nifty! :)

14. Ricardo Lagos June 14, 2012 at 5:34 pm - Reply

wow! — +Nicole S. Young .. i feel like i just revisited the whole weekend, and it brought back all the good feelings that i had that weekend. through the show, and all the fun things we did together.

this was just excellent.. i love it, and thank you! .. this really inspires me.

15. Chris Smith June 14, 2012 at 5:40 pm - Reply

Oh, thank you Nicole, I will watch the tutorial. I have a copy of CS6 which is in the "queue" for me to learn. At the moment I'm learning Lightroom 4. I just started learning all these desktop tools having come from the mobile photography world. It is a ball to be honest, I love software. (Yes. Yes, I am a total geek.)

16. Nicole S. Young June 14, 2012 at 5:45 pm - Reply

+Chris Smith Lightroom is also a very essential tool for Timelapse (at least for me). If you're interested, I did an in-depth webinar with +onOne Software that shows how I create my timelapse videos: Timelapse: Creating a Moving Photograph with Nicole S. Young

17. Eugene Ryser June 14, 2012 at 5:48 pm - Reply

Super cool +Nicole S. Young! Now I want to try making one :)

18. Shawn Miles June 14, 2012 at 6:39 pm - Reply

so cool

19. Amy Heiden June 14, 2012 at 6:40 pm - Reply

Fantastic stop motion. So well done. You captured a lot of great moments. Wish I could have been there!

20. Kelly-Shane Fuller June 14, 2012 at 9:03 pm - Reply

That turned out AWESOME +Nicole S. Young

21. Michael Sutton June 15, 2012 at 5:13 am - Reply

WOW! What an incredible video, and what an awesome way to record what looked like a great event, well done +Nicole S. Young, good to see your mug in there to +Brian Matiash

22. Ryan Wilson June 15, 2012 at 6:22 am - Reply

Awesome, +Nicole S. Young!

23. Scott Wyden Kivowitz June 15, 2012 at 5:32 am - Reply

Awesome video! I wish I was closer so I could have been there for all of it, looks like a fun time.

24. Steph (@crushgear) June 15, 2012 at 6:16 am - Reply

A really, really neat way of sharing your experience. I definitely want to try that sometime.

25. Nick Gatens June 18, 2012 at 6:21 am - Reply

Finally had time to sit and watch after Brian mentioned it in a hangout! Absolutely outstanding – so much fun to watch. Great work!

26. Tana Teel June 19, 2012 at 7:29 am - Reply

Absolutely fantastic!! Great job on this +Nicole S. Young .
    I want to go back already. :)

27. Petra Cross June 20, 2012 at 5:17 am - Reply

Great clip! Nicole, thank to +Trey Ratcliff. He was the original inspiration. I'm just part of the snowball that seems to be getting bigger every day.

28. Jacques Cloutier June 20, 2012 at 5:18 am - Reply

That is sooooo good! Great video, cheerful, touching and excellent choice of music. Bravo! +Nicole S. Young