Linguine with Shrimp

Home|Blog, Food, Food Styling, Photography|Linguine with Shrimp

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 70-200 ƒ/4l IS lens, 1/30 sec at ƒ/5.6, ISO 100

Here’s a quick pasta photo for the weekend to make you all hungry … again. ;) My only trick with this photo is a half-dome of styrofoam under the pasta to bulk it up for the photo (example here).

I’ll be sitting at my computer over the next three days working to make a deadline for my upcoming book (hence the endless stream of food photography, lol). I hope you all are getting some sunshine and fresh air this weekend … Send some my way if you can!

By | 2016-12-18T17:01:13+00:00 March 12th, 2011|8 Comments

1. Glen March 12, 2011 at 12:22 pm - Reply

Nicole, Love the shot. Do you ever shoot with a macro lens? BTW hurry up and finish the book. I have already pre-ordered via Amazon. :}

• Nicole March 12, 2011 at 5:12 pm - Reply

No, I don’t have any macro lenses. The lens I use (70-200) allows me to get in pretty tight on the photo, especially when I use my 7D (the crop-factor helps).

2. Aparna March 12, 2011 at 7:53 pm - Reply

Nicole, may I ask what lenses you usually use for your food photography? I just noticed that you say you don’t use a macro lens which I know a lot of people do.

• Nicole March 12, 2011 at 8:40 pm - Reply

Most of the time I use the Canon 70-200mm ƒ/4L IS lens for my food, and when I’m using a crop-sensor camera it allows me to get in really close to the food (I add the camera and lens data to my photos on my blog so you can see what I used). Some lenses have different focusing distances and the 70-200 works well for my compositions. I wouldn’t really want to get in much closer (unless I was photographing something really small) so I don’t have much need for a macro lens right now.

• Aparna March 13, 2011 at 10:20 pm - Reply

Thank you, Nicole for answering my question. I write a food blog and take a lot of food photographs. I mostly use my 50mm f/1.8mm II or the 100mm macro f/2.8 lenses for this.

May I bother you with one more question? I use a Canon 450D, so would you say I could get pretty good food pictures with my 55 – 250mm f/ 4-5.6mm IS lens? Of course, it isn’t an L series lens.

• Nicole March 13, 2011 at 11:06 pm - Reply

Yes, I don’t see why not. :) The minimum focusing distance is similar to what I use, and at f/5.6 if you want to compress at 250mm you’ll still get very shallow DOF. I would probably be able to use it with similar results to what I already photograph with just by looking at its specifications.

• Aparna March 14, 2011 at 10:00 am

Thank you. I think I need to look at my 55 – 250 mm lens with a new perspective and experiment using it for food photography. :)

3. Glen March 15, 2011 at 4:31 pm - Reply

Thanks Nicole. I’m going to use my 70-200 and practice some food shots.