|, Food, Food Styling|Attention Foodies and Food Bloggers …

Attention Foodies and Food Bloggers …

By | 2016-12-18T17:01:17+00:00 September 7th, 2010|12 Comments

I’m going to be starting a dedicated series on my blog about food photography and need your input! I have some previous posts on food photography and food styling but really want to write more detailed posts that are aimed specifically at non-photographers who want to take great photos of their food (don’t worry, photogs … you’ll get lots out of this too!).

Soooo … ask away! Any and all questions relating to photography, cameras, lighting, editing, etc. are welcome, as long as they are in regards to photographing food. Feel free to link to your blog or any photos you have questions about, too.

To ask your question or tell me what you want to know you can leave a comment below or send me message on my contact page. :)

1. Blanche Liston September 7, 2010 at 10:08 am - Reply

I have sweet friend who has started a sweet baked goods business. She takes her own pictures. Do you have any tips on shooting baked bread, muffins, etc.?

2. Kristi W. September 7, 2010 at 12:03 pm - Reply

What are your tips for a simplified lighting set up?

3. jamielauren September 7, 2010 at 1:11 pm - Reply

I had taken a marketing class of sorts a long, long time ago and I sort of remember learning about how different colors affect the way we see food and drinks in advertisiments. For example, a glass of ice on a cool blue background tends to make people thirsty and more interested in the photo, etc. I know it’s best to use opposing colors from the color wheel with the food itself [green and red, etc] but what about backdrop colors? I noticed you keep it plain and simple [white] with your plates, bowls, etc. But what about other colors in the frame?

4. Dave R September 7, 2010 at 8:51 pm - Reply

From listening to you on podcasts, I think you perfer using natural daylight. When we are suffering cloudy days, do you use you AB’s and what size lightbox do you use if so?

5. Michael Chan September 8, 2010 at 12:13 am - Reply

Could you talk about your sharpening workflow for images to be published on websites? How does Lightroom and Photoshop get used? Finally how do you prevent yourself from over sharpening your images?

6. Burt September 8, 2010 at 7:16 pm - Reply

You have talked about styling food occasionally. I would like to hear more about that topic. Essentially, how to make my food photos look more appetizing.

7. Michael / South Bay Foodies September 8, 2010 at 10:22 pm - Reply

I’d like to know more about taking pictures of food and products (or anything, for that matter) using a mini studio and lights. I received one of those little cycloramas as a gift and have made the most use of it because I haven’t found a good tutorial on setting it up. Not sure it you use one, but if you could give some tips on how to make the most of it, your words would fall on very appreciative ears. Thanks!

8. amanda @ fake ginger September 12, 2010 at 8:15 pm - Reply

I would love speedlight tips! My food always ends up looking flat and boring. I don’t have any other photography gear really and don’t want to purchase anything expensive but I’d love to be able to use the speedlight for food.

9. Doug Ford October 13, 2010 at 3:01 pm - Reply

I’m interested in how you would approach photo illustration for a cocktail blog. I’m particularly interested in natural light, and in one- and two-speedlight setups and styling.

10. EOS 60D Kit April 5, 2011 at 11:57 pm - Reply

I reckon this is a wonderful digital camera, entire of attributes. I was comparing 7D to 60D when I was trying to obtain a new DSLR in December of 2010, and located 7D to be a lot more commanding and worthy of for dollars than 60D.

11. Peter September 5, 2011 at 9:14 am - Reply

Long time reader, first time commenter, came here via istockphoto. Great work btw :)

Here is a list of items I normally try and deduce from existing food photo’s for the purposes of learning, in (my perceived) order of importancem, which I would enjoy learning more about:

* Main light source – position, angle, temperature, soft/hard, snoots/grids/diffusers/etc, reflectors

* Secondary fill lights/reflectors – same points as above light source really

* Camera – position, angle,

* Composition (food and camera) – framing, whole item or portion in view, table surface, background props, colour relations of items

* Food styling – attention to detail, highlight enhancers (glazes/oils), condiments incl. sea salt/pepper etc., position of food i.e. raised on plate to change it’s angle, items on the plate i.e. fork, spoon etc and their position.

* Lens – choice of focal length, depth of field, focus point, amount of background material in the shot

* Post – processing, saturation, noise, sharpening

Then there are some general items I would love to read your opinion about:

* Food items can have a lot of shadow, can we use ETTR to preserve this?

* Appropriate to use HDR to gain more some dynamic range, avoiding those ‘cartoon’ HDR type images?

* Number of shots to capture from a given setup, i.e. after creating the items ready for shooting, is there a set of compositions that can be captured to maximise time usage, e.g. top-down, filling the frame, detail shots etc.

* A single light setup example

* A multi light setup example

* Learning from existing examples

* Top food photographers you admire

* Video – thinking from the point of advertising (TV), those long sweeping shots going over a pizza with cheese melting over the edges…darn I’m hungry!

Maybe you should run some sort of boot camp (a la strobist.com) where we could submit what we learnt from your blog post to a flickr page….

12. Momma April 3, 2012 at 12:00 pm - Reply

I just recently started photographic recipes for an up and coming magazine and want everything to be perfect! With a quick Google search I found your blog. I’m super excited to see all of your tips! I love the chili tip with the smaller bowl inside…I will be using this one!