|, Photography|Last Night’s Awesome Sky

Last Night’s Awesome Sky

By | 2016-12-18T17:01:18+00:00 August 2nd, 2010|9 Comments

Canon 7D, Canon 24-105 ƒ/4L IS lens, 1/80th sec at ƒ/4, ISO 100

Last night I was sitting in my office, on the phone with a friend when he said something about the clouds and how cool they looked. I looked over my shoulder at my blinds, noticed an orange glow on them and then peeked outside. We both got off the phone quickly to take some photos. I happened to have my Canon 7D sitting right next to me, so I quickly changed its lens, stepped out on my balcony and grabbed a few shots. I even got a quick one with my iPhone before the color and clouds disappeared. I’m pretty lucky to have such a great view of the mountains from my place … I’m crossing my fingers that one day there will be an amazing lightning storm just over those mountains. :)

For those who are curious about the editing, I didn’t really do much to the image … I tried to bring back the original colors and tones of the sky. No crazy editing or alterations were done to the image.

I work from home and when I’m editing photos and/or writing I tend to be a hermit during daylight hours, and the color in the sky was only visible for a few minutes after I noticed it so I’m glad I caught it in time. If I didn’t have my camera sitting on my desk I may not have gotten this shot in time (my iPhone pic would have had to do), which is just another reason to have a camera with you at all times … and know how to use it. :)

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Nicole S. Young, Greyson TipSquirrel. Greyson TipSquirrel said: RT @nicolesy: New post at NicolesyBlog.com – "Last Night's Awesome Sky" http://bit.ly/a9G7vA […]

2. @jacenater August 2, 2010 at 1:11 pm - Reply

When I saw the sky, I told my son you would tweet a pic of it. You didn’t disappoint. It was the perfect opportunity to try some hdr. That sky was surreal and you captured it well.

3. favian August 2, 2010 at 3:48 pm - Reply

Looks like a scene from them movie Independence Day! Kick as shot.

4. Mark Fogarty August 5, 2010 at 12:21 pm - Reply

Hey Nicole… I just discovered your most excellent 2 minute tips from Scott Bourne’s site… wow, thanks for these great, helpful tips.

I do video for a living and last October sold my HVX200 kit to build new based on the 7D (and loving it btw). I noticed the specs you had for this shot and I was curious about the ISO. I remember reading a post in DVXuser.com about how the 7D has an ISO quirk that makes multiples of160 cleaner than lower settings, so much so that 320 is as clean as 100.

As a result I have always set my camera at 160, 320, 640, 1250, etc.

I was wondering if you were aware of this, and if this quirk is true for stills? Since I have a camera capable of decent stills I’m just getting into learning to take photographs, and I really appreciate your info.

5. Nicole August 5, 2010 at 12:28 pm - Reply

@Mark – thanks for that link, that’s very interesting! Maybe I’ll do some tests on my own as well to compare. :)

6. Michal Fanta August 5, 2010 at 4:39 pm - Reply

In a good way but still a little – I envy you the view!

7. Mark Fogarty August 6, 2010 at 11:30 am - Reply

Nicole… don’t mean to be a pest… but I’ve got another question for you.

What Picture Style do you mainly use with your 7D? Or do you change it up depending on the circumstances?

Coming from a video bg I tend to have a very flat looking profile which allows for a bit more latitude for post work. I’m wondering if I’m missing the boat for when it comes to stills?

Mark

8. Nicole August 6, 2010 at 12:30 pm - Reply

@Mark – I shoot in RAW so I don’t bother with Picture styles in-camera (it only makes the image look different on the LCD monitor, but doesn’t hold the changes when you look at the RAW file on the computer).

9. Mark Fogarty August 6, 2010 at 1:08 pm - Reply

Sweet… that’s great to know. So that’s probably why my JPEG’s and RAW look different when I shoot both. It all makes sense now.

I shoot everything to RAW as well. Wishing I could do that for video but a RED camera is SLIGHTLY out of my price range at this present time.

Thanks so very much.