My New Camera: The iPhone 4

By | 2017-12-03T12:15:29+00:00 July 30th, 2010|7 Comments

Camera: iPhone 4, Editing App: Camera+ (Cross process effect)
(Click image for full-res)

Today I upgraded my iPhone 3G to the iPhone 4. I’d been on the fence about upgrading since I now have an iPad and I use it for all of my apps, web browsing, emailing and game-playing and my iPhone was only being used as a phone, to text/Twitter and to take photos with. Since I’m a photographer I was feeling the urge to get the improved camera (plus it’s nice to have video as well) and thought it was worth the $200 price-tag.

Also, just for the record, I wasn’t having any issues with iOS 4 and my iPhone 3G, and the new iPhone’s “antennae problems” probably won’t even affect me (I’m a right-handed phone talker and don’t “death grip” it, lol). I bought this phone purely as a camera upgrade, believe it or not. :)

The phone is, overall, much snappier, the screen is great and the camera’s image quality is amazing. So, it’s pretty much what I expected. :) I just love the fact that I can choose focus & exposure point, and also that I can get in much closer to my subject.

The image in this post was shot with the iPhone 4 and I used the Camera+ app to do the editing (just added a quick cross-process effect). If you’d like to take a closer look at the image then click here or on the image above to see the full-res version.

Nicole S. Young is a professional photographer and published author whose love of photography and teaching has grown into an online business where she creates training materials and resources for other photographers. Nicole is best known for her books on food photography, but is widely versed in a variety of photographic genres, including landscape, travel, lifestyle, and even underwater photography. You can learn more about Nicole's work on her website, nicolesy.com.

1. dav.d July 30, 2010 at 3:23 pm - Reply

Congrats on the new iPhone 4! The camera really is a selling point. I love mine.

2. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Nicole S. Young and Andrew Scott, Dan Stephens. Dan Stephens said: RT @nicolesy: New post at NicolesyBlog.com – "My New Camera: The iPhone 4" http://bit.ly/9LrMU4 […]

3. Joseph Moore July 30, 2010 at 8:40 pm - Reply

Nicole,, I have my iPhone waiting for me at the house. Unfortunately I have been out to sea, and the waiting is killing me! I will have to look into the camera+! Thanks for the post.

4. Trent August 3, 2010 at 1:01 pm - Reply

I upgraded my iPhone 4 from a 3Gs and the front facing camera alone is worth the upgrade. I went to New York with my wife and we could actually take and frame pictures with both of us in it. Sure it’s low-res, but it’s better than no pics at all. The back camera is a worthy upgrade as well.

5. Dean Massalsky August 3, 2010 at 2:10 pm - Reply

I recently got an iPhone 4 as well. The camera and the video quality are impressive. It definitely removes the excuse to NOT take a pic because the camera you have with you is not up to it. It also recalibrate the ‘ the best camera you have is the one you have with you” threshold. No connection issues here either…Absolutely love it. Now I have 2 cool cameras to learn on…

6. Travis Williams August 26, 2010 at 11:33 am - Reply

Did you turn on the Easter egg that allows you to use the volume controls to snap pictures in Camera+?

You just need to visit camplus://enablevolumesnap in Safari on the iPhone. The next time you go to use Camera+ you can use the volume controls to snap away. I love this feature.

7. Nicole August 26, 2010 at 11:34 am - Reply

@Travis – Yep, I sure did! I forget I have that feature though, and always end up doing multiple shots too, lol :)