My New Camera: The iPhone 4

Home|Blog, Gear, iPhone, Photography|My New Camera: The iPhone 4

Camera: iPhone 4, Editing App: Camera+ (Cross process effect)
(Click image for full-res)

Today I upgraded my iPhone 3G to the iPhone 4. I’d been on the fence about upgrading since I now have an iPad and I use it for all of my apps, web browsing, emailing and game-playing and my iPhone was only being used as a phone, to text/Twitter and to take photos with. Since I’m a photographer I was feeling the urge to get the improved camera (plus it’s nice to have video as well) and thought it was worth the $200 price-tag.

Also, just for the record, I wasn’t having any issues with iOS 4 and my iPhone 3G, and the new iPhone’s “antennae problems” probably won’t even affect me (I’m a right-handed phone talker and don’t “death grip” it, lol). I bought this phone purely as a camera upgrade, believe it or not. :)

The phone is, overall, much snappier, the screen is great and the camera’s image quality is amazing. So, it’s pretty much what I expected. :) I just love the fact that I can choose focus & exposure point, and also that I can get in much closer to my subject.

The image in this post was shot with the iPhone 4 and I used the Camera+ app to do the editing (just added a quick cross-process effect). If you’d like to take a closer look at the image then click here or on the image above to see the full-res version.

By | 2016-12-18T17:01:18+00:00 July 30th, 2010|7 Comments

1. dav.d July 30, 2010 at 3:23 pm - Reply

Congrats on the new iPhone 4! The camera really is a selling point. I love mine.

2. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Nicole S. Young and Andrew Scott, Dan Stephens. Dan Stephens said: RT @nicolesy: New post at NicolesyBlog.com – "My New Camera: The iPhone 4" http://bit.ly/9LrMU4 […]

3. Joseph Moore July 30, 2010 at 8:40 pm - Reply

Nicole,, I have my iPhone waiting for me at the house. Unfortunately I have been out to sea, and the waiting is killing me! I will have to look into the camera+! Thanks for the post.

4. Trent August 3, 2010 at 1:01 pm - Reply

I upgraded my iPhone 4 from a 3Gs and the front facing camera alone is worth the upgrade. I went to New York with my wife and we could actually take and frame pictures with both of us in it. Sure it’s low-res, but it’s better than no pics at all. The back camera is a worthy upgrade as well.

5. Dean Massalsky August 3, 2010 at 2:10 pm - Reply

I recently got an iPhone 4 as well. The camera and the video quality are impressive. It definitely removes the excuse to NOT take a pic because the camera you have with you is not up to it. It also recalibrate the ‘ the best camera you have is the one you have with you” threshold. No connection issues here either…Absolutely love it. Now I have 2 cool cameras to learn on…

6. Travis Williams August 26, 2010 at 11:33 am - Reply

Did you turn on the Easter egg that allows you to use the volume controls to snap pictures in Camera+?

You just need to visit camplus://enablevolumesnap in Safari on the iPhone. The next time you go to use Camera+ you can use the volume controls to snap away. I love this feature.

7. Nicole August 26, 2010 at 11:34 am - Reply

@Travis – Yep, I sure did! I forget I have that feature though, and always end up doing multiple shots too, lol :)