Trying Out the Canon 50mm f/1.4

Home|Blog, Lenses, Photography|Trying Out the Canon 50mm f/1.4

Canon 7D, Canon 50mm ƒ/1.4 lens, 1/250 sec at ƒ/2.0, ISO 400

If you read Monday’s blog post you know that I really like sharp images. Well, I recently purchased the Canon 50mm f/1.4 (an upgrade from my 50mm f/1.8) and tried it out all-day at a recent stock photo shoot. I’ve done a few other tests since then and have to say that I’m really satisfied with the focusing on this lens. It’s pretty sharp when set to f/2.0 or f/2.8 … anything below that gets kinda soft but isn’t too bad.

The one bad thing about this is that it introduces quite a bit of chromatic aberration in the images, but that’s something I can easily remove in post processing (if you’d like to see a great way to remove CA in Photoshop check back here over the next few days … I’ve got a good video tutorial on the way).

By | 2016-12-18T17:01:19+00:00 June 23rd, 2010|7 Comments

1. Wendy June 23, 2010 at 12:57 pm - Reply

I got mine last month and I really really love it. as you said, it’s nice and sharp.

I haven’t noticed the CA it introduces though. I’ll have to look again. But were you using any filters on the lens, which might explain it?

Enjoy your new toy.

2. Nicole June 23, 2010 at 1:00 pm - Reply

Nope, no filters. I usually don’t add filters to my lenses. When I do the tutorial I’ll use an image taken with the 50 f/1.4 so you can see the CA.

3. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Nicole S. Young and Bruno Rossete, Bruno Rossete. Bruno Rossete said: RT Nicole S. Young nicolesy New post at NicolesyBlog.com – "Trying Out the Canon 50mm f/1.4" http://bit.ly/aqjPiq […]

4. Bruce Jones June 23, 2010 at 1:36 pm - Reply

I love the sharpness from that, and am thinking about upgrading my Nikon 50mm 1.8 to 1.4 as well. The price is double, but I am seeing some noise in mine, even at lower ISO’s that I would like to lose.

Looking forward to seeing your demo on the CA

5. joanE June 23, 2010 at 7:10 pm - Reply

What is the difference between those two lenses again? I see the 1.8 vs 1.4 but what else?
    You are inspiring Nicole. What a great shot. You’ve really come up with some great ideas for stock. This one is perfect.

6. Jed June 29, 2010 at 1:36 pm - Reply

It’s a great lens. It was my favorite until I purchased the 85mm f1.2 L. But there is still plenty of use for the 50. Thanks for the tutorial on CA removal. I’ll definitely have use for it.

7. Paul Davis July 22, 2010 at 1:04 pm - Reply

Both Antonella and I love our Nikon 50mm f1.4 lenses (she loves her 20mm 1.4 too)

It just seems to be one of those ideal prime lenses that makes you look at things differently