Three Gossips

By | 2016-12-18T17:01:22+00:00 April 22nd, 2010|5 Comments

Three Gossips Canon 7D, Canon 24-105 ƒ/4L IS lens, 1-50 sec at ƒ/11, ISO 100

This is a quick-edit of what I think might be my favorite photo from my trip to Arches National Park. I’ve been working off of my laptop while I’ve been traveling (a three-year-old 13″ MacBook), and it doesn’t calibrate very well so once I get home I’ll be able to take a good look at all of my images and do some “proper” editing.

I used Lightroom 2 and Silver Efex Pro to editi this image. I photographed three exposures so I’ll also give it a try as a “realistic” HDR to try to bring back some of the details in the highlights and shadows. I’m also not sure if I want it color or B&W … although I am kinda liking the B&W version. Maybe I’ll post them both here on my blog once they’re edited. :)

The one thing I’m certain of is that I absolutely love it as a square crop. I actually framed it to be cropped this way while I was photographing it (I wonder what “anti-crop” people would say to that? Buy a Hasselblad? Lol). Here’s a quick thought … wouldn’t it be cool if we could switch our cameras to photograph in a 1:1 aspect ratio? Yeah, you can always crop your images (like I did here) but it’s all about seeing the image while you’re photographing it. When shooting video you get a semi-transparent matte that gives you a 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio, and it records the movies that way. I think that camera companies should do the same thing for still images! :)

Another side note is that I’m really digging live view and the electronic level on my 7D for photographing landscapes. I used live-view for about 90% of my shots—the other 10% was when I was photographing stars and couldn’t see anything on the LCD monitor. After shooting all of these landscape images I’m realizing that the next lens I’m gonna buy will be a super-wide lens, maybe even a prime … but until then my 24-105 will have to suffice. :)

About the Author:

Nicole S. Young is a professional photographer and published author whose love of photography and teaching has grown into an online business where she creates training materials and resources for other photographers. Nicole is best known for her books on food photography, but is widely versed in a variety of photographic genres, including landscape, travel, lifestyle, and even underwater photography. You can learn more about Nicole's work on her website, nicolesy.com.

5 Comments

  1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Nicole S. Young, sarajanetodd. sarajanetodd said: RT @nicolesy: New post at NicolesyBlog.com – "Three Gossips" http://bit.ly/c7Mit1 […]

  2. Harley Pebley April 22, 2010 at 7:10 am - Reply

    Yeah, I borrowed a 10-22 from Ed Paz last year for some landscapes and fell in love with it. I really like the look they give. I’m guessing BorrowLens.com has some. ;-)

  3. Scott R Bush April 22, 2010 at 7:46 am - Reply

    I’ve been shooting several rolls of film lately with a Hasselblad and have been loving the square format! I too wish it was super easy with DSLR’s to ‘see and shoot’ squares. I figured with my D200 that the left and right most focus points are slightly smaller than a square (helps with composition). But you can always get one of these – http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/page–Custom-Focusing-Screens–store.html (which I am considering!). I know the nikon D3 lets you shoot in 4×5 mode, so it seems the technology is there and will improve to include a 1:1 ratio.

  4. Mark Coleman April 24, 2010 at 2:00 pm - Reply

    Like this alot, I need to get back down to Arches

  5. […] same image on my blog last week after doing a quick edit on it in Lightroom and Silver Efex Pro (here’s a link to that image). My laptop won’t really calibrate too well so the original edit it didn’t look like I […]

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.