Utah Lake HDR Sunset

Home|Blog, HDR, Photography|Utah Lake HDR Sunset

Utah LakeCanon 7D, Canon 24-105 ƒ/4L lens, HDR (1/13, 0.6 and 5 sec.), ƒ/14 at ISO 100

I drove out to Utah Lake last week and had more fun doing some landscape HDR photography. I’m kinda getting into HDR, it’s a lot of fun so far and I really like the results. I’m also really looking forward to installing Photoshop CS5 to see how well it can create HDR images, even though I just bought Photomatix (lol)!

By | 2016-12-18T17:01:22+00:00 April 14th, 2010|10 Comments

1. dav.d April 14, 2010 at 8:23 am - Reply

That is gorgeous! Amazing work.

2. Jeremy Hall April 14, 2010 at 8:24 am - Reply

This really turned out well! How did you deal with the moving waves and the HDR process? Is this from one image exposed differently, or did you do multiple exposures and just give layer blending to keep the detail in waves?

3. Chet Carter April 14, 2010 at 8:26 am - Reply

Nice HDR! The detail in the white caps on the water are beautiful, great work

4. Nicole April 14, 2010 at 8:28 am - Reply

@Jeremy – I used three separate exposures and just let Photomatix do the work. The longset exposure was pretty long (1/13, 0.6 and 5 sec.), I knew that the water would look different in all the shots but wasn’t too concerned. :)

5. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Nicole Young, Scott Wyden Kivowitz. Scott Wyden Kivowitz said: From Google Reader: Utah Lake HDR Sunset http://goo.gl/fb/8eBy4 […]

6. Vern Snow April 14, 2010 at 10:26 am - Reply

Nice HDR, I am fun with HDR also.

7. Carolyn April 14, 2010 at 11:53 am - Reply

This is so beautiful, Nicole. The HDR really brings out the details. Wow!

8. Linda April 14, 2010 at 3:33 pm - Reply

This turned out really well. I did some HDR shots at Antelope Island last weekend and the ones with The Great Salt Lake in them didn’t turn out well. I’m wondering if because your waves were allot bigger and choppier they look good and mine were fairly smooth?

9. TelefoNina April 15, 2010 at 2:54 am - Reply

In my eyes it’s too much hdr. Doesn’t look natural any more. Sure it’s the old question “do hdr or not to hdr” ;) But I’d love to see this photo in a more natural look.

10. Glen Williams April 19, 2010 at 6:59 am - Reply

It’s the idea of HDR is that is not completely real and natural. In my eyes it’s an amazing photo.