Apple vs. Acer

|, Photography, Photoshop|Apple vs. Acer

Apple vs Acer

Yesterday I jumped into Photoshop and created a graphic that compares the resolution on my current monitor (Acer 22″ AL2223W) to the Apple 30″ display when working in Photoshop. BIG mistake. I’ve considered adding a second monitor to my desk, but since I use a Wacom tablet for everything I’ve decided against it—I don’t want to have my tablet split in half for each monitor, nor do I want to have to “jump” back and forth from screen-to-screen. So a “one-screen” setup seems like it would be the best for what I do, and now, after this little experiment … I want one!

Since the majority of the work I do is editing photos, having extra monitor real-estate is a big deal (pun intended). In the smaller screen setup (1680 x 1050) you can see that the amount of space I have to utilize for viewing a photo full-frame is quite small, but in the larger screen setup (2560 x 1600) that area is huge. It’s nearly the same size as my original 22″ monitor. That alone would be exponentially  awesome.

This is the stuff that makes my job difficult. I’m self employed so when I buy new tools like this it’s a tax write-off, and I have a feeling that it would significantly improve my efficiency and make working at my computer a bit easier. Also, I work at my computer all day long … it only makes sense that I would have the best equipment in front of me, right? But these suckers aren’t cheap … a brand new one is $1,799 (although I’m not opposed to buying a used or refurbished monitor to save $500). It’s not easy spending that kind of dinero.

What to do, what to do … if anyone has any opinions for or against a ginormous yet beautiful 30″ monitor please feel free to leave a comment below. :)

By | 2016-12-18T17:01:22+00:00 April 1st, 2010|18 Comments

1. dav.d April 1, 2010 at 1:30 pm - Reply

I use my Wacom in “mouse mode” so it isn’t mapped to the size of my monitors and that works great for my dual monitors.

2. Leah April 1, 2010 at 1:32 pm - Reply

must be a bug to be buying new computers. looking at ones for work right now… (non-photo work). YAY for write offs :)

3. Ted Belton April 1, 2010 at 1:32 pm - Reply

Have you considered a Wacom Cintiq? It can act as a new monitor and improve your tablet workflow rather than making it more difficult. I know they are more expensive than the Apple monitor but……

4. Todd T April 1, 2010 at 1:53 pm - Reply

If you want to save a few bucks, a friend of mine has this monitor and loves it:

If you can go with a 28″ instead of 30″, two of these would be awesome:

5. Nicole April 1, 2010 at 1:57 pm - Reply

@Ted – The Wacom Cintiq is way out of my budget, plus I don’t really like them. I’ve tried them at trade-shows and find that the “traditional” tablets are much easier for me to use.

6. Theasis April 1, 2010 at 2:05 pm - Reply

Go for the big screen, but have it side by side with your old one too…I find it *really* handy to have, say, Photoshop on my big monitor and Bridge on my “little” 1680×1050 or Premiere mostly on the big display but with a few tear-off panels on the little display. Having the tablet split in half took all of 2 seconds to get used to, and a click of a tablet button maps it to just the big display when I want that.
    (I only have OSX on my netbook, not my desktop, so maybe there’s a good Mac reason for single screen which I don’t know about).

7. Torsten April 1, 2010 at 2:05 pm - Reply

I would also look at other 30″ monitors. I have never heard bad things about the 30″ dells.

8. Ed O'Keeffe April 1, 2010 at 3:13 pm - Reply

I’m currently working on a 15inch Macbook pro (1400×900 so I feel your pain. I have been looking at both the 23 and 30 inch apple displays since 2006 and waiting for upgrades, then the 24 came out but wont connect with my machine. Now I am ready to upgrade my main computer i decided to go for the 27inch iMac that has the same resolution of the 30 inch display.

Apple rumours tell us that new displays are on the way to replace the 30inch when the next Mac Pros come out so it might be worth holding off a couple of months if you can to see what comes out to maybe make the older 30’s cheaper. That said if you need a newer or large res screen now then buy it now.

9. Danny April 1, 2010 at 3:29 pm - Reply
  10. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by creativebloke. creativebloke said: I saw this : Apple vs. Acer: Yesterday I jumped into Photoshop and created a graphic that compares the resolution… http://bit.ly/aSTeJx […]

11. @photogoofer April 1, 2010 at 4:30 pm - Reply

I’m not sure what computer you’re using now, but if you’re looking at around $1700, you might consider a 27″ iMac. I have that on my desktop and still use my MacBook on the road. AND, there’s a mini-display port on the back that let’s u use it as a monitor for your MacBook!

12. Nicole April 1, 2010 at 4:33 pm - Reply

I’m currently using a MacPro, so even though the iMacs are really nice it really wouldn’t make sense. ;)

13. Burt April 1, 2010 at 5:32 pm - Reply

I have both a Mac 30″ and a Del 30″. I think the Dell is a much better monitor, and costs about 30% less.

Much as I love Apple, I will probably never buy another Apple monitor. Quality is no longer keeping up with the competition, and the price is (and always has been) too high.

14. Ben Ludwig April 2, 2010 at 8:14 am - Reply

I had a 19″ Acer and after about 6 months the monitor had streaks going through it. Wont but that brand again.

15. T Garrett April 2, 2010 at 8:51 am - Reply

Apple’s coming out with a monitor similar to their 24″ that has a few extra features that their current 30″ has. The new model will be just like the current 24″, but bigger. Maybe wait for that one?

16. T Garrett April 2, 2010 at 8:53 am - Reply
  17. Sam Scholes April 2, 2010 at 11:44 am - Reply

I would seriously consider Eizo over Apple’s monitors. They are top-notch LCDs, often considered the best in the industry, they self-calibrate, and are more competitively priced.

18. Pete Wright April 4, 2010 at 9:43 am - Reply

Agree with Sam re: the Eizo. Though I have the apple 24 inch with an adapter to hook it to my older mac pro. It’s fantastic. I had the 30 for a spell but actually down-sized. It’s simply too big and my post processing and comfort suffered as a result — consider 24 or 27 models to save some money and strain!