Help Portrait

By | 2016-12-18T17:01:27+00:00 December 14th, 2009|8 Comments

4185918800_bffafa7dd7_oImage courtesy Rich Legg

This past weekend I had the opportunity to help out the local community by being involved with “Help-Portrait“, a world-wide photography event where photographers and volunteers got together to provide portraits to families and individuals that are in need. Several of the families that came to the YWCA in Salt Lake City had never had a family portrait taken … it was so wonderful to see their faces after receiving their printed photograph for the first time.

I’m really encouraged after doing this event, and also seeing other photographers organizing similar events in the area (here is a video about a local photographer, Dale Welcome, who put together a portrait event last month). It’s such a wonderful feeling that I can use my gifts of photography to help others, even if it’s just to put a smile on their face.

A big thanks to Mavourneen Strozewski for organizing this event, and also to the other local photographers who took part in this and other Help-Portraits in the area. It was an awesome experience and I was so glad to be a part of it. :)

1. Ivan Boden December 14, 2009 at 10:03 pm - Reply

So wonderful you all did this. I’m also proud of my friends who pulled off two “Help-Portrait” events here in NYC. I’m so glad I was able to start the ball rolling, but sad that I was unable to attend because my back went out on me. I will definately attend the next one. Bad back or not!

Congratulations to all of you for doing this.

2. Thomas Tomchak December 16, 2009 at 1:45 pm - Reply

What a great “feel good” post.

When the holidays all seem so materialistic now, it’s nice that something this simple can be a true gift of yourself and your talents.

I couldn’t be part of it this year, but plan to next year for sure.

Great job Nicole, and thanks for sharing.

3. mavourneen strozewski December 16, 2009 at 10:16 pm - Reply

Nicole, you spelled my last name wrong, hehe Did NOT know you were going to write a post about the event for Saturday…Thanks for bringing your expertise to the photoshoot :)

4. Nicole December 16, 2009 at 10:22 pm - Reply

Sorry about that! Your name should be fixed now, Mavourneen. :)

5. Jim Worrall December 17, 2009 at 9:13 pm - Reply

What a wonderful initiative, ..truly worthwhile.

6. Jon Price December 19, 2009 at 9:28 am - Reply

I know this is kind of an off topic question. Tell me about the blue backdrop. Y have been thinking about getting one.

Thanks,
    Jon

7. Kathryn December 20, 2009 at 1:05 pm - Reply

What a fantastic way for photographers to give back to the community.

8. Nicole December 21, 2009 at 1:08 am - Reply

@Jon – the blue backdrop is Rich Legg’s … you can contact him through his blog if you want more info on that specific one: http://leggnet.com