Home|Blog, Photography|Photo of the Year

2447144711_d2271f65c7_o

A recent article on TWIP inspired me to blog about my own “Photo of the Year”.  This was a photo I took of my husband, who doesn’t really like to be photographed, so I guess in a sense I was lucky to get it!  (He doesn’t really mind when I use long lenses, though … this was taken with my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, so I was pretty far away.)

I actually took it because I was attempting to do the “Project 365” on Flickr, where you take a photo every day for a year.  I got close, but so many things were going on in my life, and even though I was taking the photos I never had time to process them.  So, I stopped … but it was definitely an experience that was worthwhile!  Not only did I get several amazing photos that I wouldn’t have taken (here’s another example, a photo of my cat) I was really inspired to get out and take more pictures!  I still try to take photos every chance I get, even if it’s just with a Point-and-Shoot.

I live by the philosophy of “practice-makes-perfect”, and even though I will never be a perfect photograher (I don’t think that exists!) I do belive that you can only get better at something by doing it over and over.

By | 2016-12-18T17:01:31+00:00 December 24th, 2008|0 Comments

No Comments

1. jamesbdotcom December 24, 2008 at 11:34 am - Reply

You said in your blog post that you take photos every chance you get, even if it’s just with a Point-and-Shoot. I’ve been wondering one thing…have your “snapshots” changed since you have been focusing on professional stock photography, or do they still look like snapshots?

I take a ton of pictures, especially at family activities, but most of them just look like snapshots. I enjoy preserving the memories, but I also want some WOW shots out of it. What is your experience with these everyday moments? Do you take more or less snapshots now? Have your point-and-shot pictures changed?

2. Chris Pichado December 24, 2008 at 11:37 am - Reply

I love the chocolate tone post on this. Great photo, and lovely that you respect his wishes to not be photographed up-close (kinda… ;-) )

Perhaps he knows your telephotos are the best for portrait work. Reverse psychology and all. ;-)

3. Alvaro December 24, 2008 at 12:03 pm - Reply

Nice one Nicole, I should choose one in the following days. Merry Christmas!

4. Nicole December 24, 2008 at 12:04 pm - Reply

@jamesbdotcom I guess that my P&S images have changed a bit. I can only have so much control with my P&S camera, so my favorite thing I do is to play around with long shutter speeds & flash to give them neat effects. I call it my “party trick” since it always evokes “oohs” and “ahhs” from people (usually from non-photographers) who see it! Here’s an example: http://flickr.com/photos/nicolesy/2736978628/in/set-72157605947105254/

When I use my P&S I am really just try to make memories, since (IMO) not every image needs to be technically correct or a work-of-art if you are just trying to show something fun or silly that happened in your life. :)

5. jamesbdotcom December 24, 2008 at 3:34 pm - Reply

Thanks for the tip. I’ll try it this holiday season. :) I like your attitude toward photography.

6. Chris January 2, 2009 at 4:03 pm - Reply

Hi Nicole – just wanted to say THANKS. Long story short, I heard you on TWIP (never miss it) and then saw your post about ‘Project 365’.

I’m now doing Project 366-1 (this year’s group) and having a ball being part of the Flickr community – so THANKS :-)