I was a little bummed when I realized I would be out of town and on the first day of my trip visiting family, and would miss the +The Google + One Year Anniversary Photowalk. There wasn’t one planned in the area I’m in right now, and I really just wanted to spend that first day in town with my family.

So … I spent the entire day with my camera photographing my family. :)

I think it was a good alternative, and I guess, in my mind, I’ll call it a photowalk. I spent the day with the people I love the most, created some beautiful memories for us all, and the coolest part is that my family got to meet +Brian Matiash for the first time … the man I met here on +Google+ last year and has now somehow etched his way into my life for good. :)

These photos are from a catfish-fishing trip I took late at night with my brother, sis-in-law and @Brian Matiash … and yes, we caught two! We did a catch/release, but they were definitely good-sized keepers. Brian reeled in the first one … his first time fishing and he caught a fish!

If you want to check out my other photos from yesterday, this is a quick collage of my nieces and nephews:

By |July 1st, 2012|21 Comments

My name is Nicole and I'm a photographer, author, & photo-educator living in the US. I'm ACE certified in Photoshop, write articles for Photofocus, and do lots of traveling. I also have an online store, where I sell presets, actions, eBooks and textures. Please click here to learn more.

1. Ben Sellars July 1, 2012 at 2:25 pm - Reply

Beautiful and creative. Love them +Nicole S. Young and thanks so much for sharing them.

2. Ben Sellars July 1, 2012 at 2:25 pm - Reply

3. Sandra Parlow July 1, 2012 at 2:58 pm - Reply

that +Brian Matiash .. he's kind of like a parasite that way, isn't he?  ;)   glad you guys are having fun!!!

4. Sandra Parlow July 1, 2012 at 2:58 pm - Reply

5. Lisa Bach July 1, 2012 at 5:04 pm - Reply

Family is so important +Nicole S. Young! I think its great that you get to incorporate the love of family and photography together. It's also great that +Brian Matiash got to join you as well. Is it really the first time that +Brian Matiash has gone fishing? Way to go Brian!!!!!

6. Lisa Bach July 1, 2012 at 5:04 pm - Reply

7. Brad Sloan July 1, 2012 at 5:18 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash has that "I can't believe your pointing that at me right now" look on his face. He should know better.

8. Brad Sloan July 1, 2012 at 5:18 pm - Reply

9. Martin Bailey July 2, 2012 at 1:47 am - Reply

And I was just thinking how natural +Brian Matiash looks with the fishing rod. I wouldn't have guess it was his first time fishing. Or maybe it's just your ability to make people look good on camera +Nicole S. Young. :-) Great stuff! Thanks for sharing.

10. Martin Bailey July 2, 2012 at 1:47 am - Reply

11. Brian Matiash July 2, 2012 at 5:57 pm - Reply

HAHAHAHAHH!!!!! Yeahhhhh.

Well, let's demystify a few things. I'm 100% city boy. So, here is a list of what Brian did do:

1. Sat by the rod, watching to see if it started to bend and pull
    2. Drank some Blue Moon
    3. Ate some nacho cheese doritos and cut it with some sour cream & onion pringles
    4. Washed it down with some warm gummy bears
    5. Drank some more Blue Moon
    6. Grabbed the rod when it started jerking and reeled a 5-pound catfish onto the boat with the help of +Nicole S. Young's brother
    7. Ceremoniously named my very first catch – thus the catfish is to be known as Gus

Now, what Brian did not do:

1. Apply the coagulated and partially frozen cow blood onto the hook – that credit goes to Nicole's sister-in-law. She is more of a man than I'll ever be because of that
    2. Take Gus off the hook once it was caught – that goes to Nicole's brother
    3. Hold Gus by his gils
    4. Subsequently have a picture taken with Gus because he wouldn't hold Gus by his gils

So, yup – I caught my first fish in the capacity that a city boy would. :)

12. Brian Matiash July 2, 2012 at 5:57 pm - Reply

HAHAHAHAHH!!!!! Yeahhhhh.

1. Sat by the rod, watching to see if it started to bend and pull
    2. Drank some Blue Moon
    4. Washed it down with some warm gummy bears
    5. Drank some more Blue Moon

Now, what Brian did not do:

2. Take Gus off the hook once it was caught – that goes to Nicole's brother
    3. Hold Gus by his gils

So, yup – I caught my first fish in the capacity that a city boy would. :)

13. Sandra Parlow July 2, 2012 at 5:59 pm - Reply

LOL!  +Brian Matiash    you have broken your fish catching  virginity now!  even if you were kind of wussy about it!

Did you keep Gus or throw him back for another day?

14. Sandra Parlow July 2, 2012 at 5:59 pm - Reply

Did you keep Gus or throw him back for another day?

15. Brian Matiash July 2, 2012 at 6:03 pm - Reply

+Sandra Parlow I was totally a wussy about it. Baby steps with me.

No, we didn't keep Gus. We took a vote Survivor-style as to whether we would eat Gus or not. It was unanimous that Gus should swim to see another day and so we returned him back to the water.

As Nate threw Gus back into the drink, I could swear that I saw Gus turn to me, wink an eye and whisper, Thank you, Brian.

16. Brian Matiash July 2, 2012 at 6:03 pm - Reply

+Sandra Parlow I was totally a wussy about it. Baby steps with me.

17. Sandra Parlow July 2, 2012 at 6:05 pm - Reply

awww – well that makes it all good then!  I'm sure he also appreciated you not sticking your man fingers into his gills and holding him up!

I wish I could have seen all of this happen.. lol!  I'd have loved to see your face!!

18. Sandra Parlow July 2, 2012 at 6:05 pm - Reply

19. Scott July 4, 2012 at 8:24 am - Reply

I knew when I was with you both in NYC that you’re a great couple. I’m so happy for you!

20. joan July 5, 2012 at 8:06 pm - Reply

Nicolesy’s got a feller! Awesome!

JEK