If you’re on Google+ you may know that they recently changed the type of cover photo you can use. I thought it would be fun to do something simple, yet a little different than just a standard photo, and the image in the screen-shot above is what I have on my page right now (and very likely to change around in the future). :)

I also thought it would be fun to share my template with other users, so if you want something similar to the layout I have on my Google+ page (with your own photos, of course), then here’s a link to download the PSD file! I created it using Photoshop CS5, but in theory it should work with any version of Photoshop CS2 and above (I don’t have them all so I can’t check).

Here are instructions on using the template:

1. First, download your template and unzip/extract the file. (Here’s the link to download the file.)
  2. Open the template file in Photoshop.
  3. Have a folder of images you want to add to your cover photo.
    NOTE: If you want them to size perfectly to the images in the template, prepare your images so they are sized to 600px x 400 px (horizontal) and 400px x 600px (vertical). If they are larger or smaller, that’s okay … you’ll just have to resize the smart object to make it fit. (Click “Edit > Free Transform” to resize the image.)
  4. Right-click on the Smart-Object (image) you want to replace in the Layers panel (the description text, not the thumbnail), and select “Replace Contents…”
  5. Navigate to the photo you want to replace, select it and click “Place”.
  6. Your photo should now be in the border (if it is sized funny, see step 2).
  7. To save your file, click “File > Save As…”,  select where you want to save it, and make sure you pick JPEG from the “Format” drop-down.

The last step is to replace your new perfectly-sized cover photo on your profile over on Google+! :)

By |April 12th, 2012|24 Comments

My name is Nicole and I'm a photographer, author, & photo-educator living in the US. I'm ACE certified in Photoshop, write articles for Photofocus, and do lots of traveling. I also have an online store, where I sell presets, actions, eBooks and textures. Please click here to learn more.

1. Marty Cohen April 12, 2012 at 2:46 pm - Reply

Thanks Nicole…
    You’re fun to follow here. The template is great!
    Marty

2. Gary Stockton April 12, 2012 at 3:26 pm - Reply

Hey, that’s real nice. Thanks for giving out the template for free. I’ll +1 that!

3. Mark "switcherMark" Pouley April 12, 2012 at 3:31 pm - Reply

What a great idea. It looks super. Thank you. I will have to borrow your template.

4. Linda Mitchell April 12, 2012 at 3:53 pm - Reply

Excellent! I wanted to do something to my profile for a while now. Thanks for sharing your template.

5. Daniel April 12, 2012 at 3:54 pm - Reply

Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

6. Jaz Cook April 12, 2012 at 7:40 pm - Reply

Thank You Nicole for sharing your template looks amazing.

I wish I could pay someone to but it together for me so pressed for time.

7. Doug April 12, 2012 at 8:42 pm - Reply

Thanks so much for sharing this! I never used photoshop before in my life but your tutorial was very easy to follow. I made an awesome cover photo out of my instagram pictures :)

8. Yukon Binoculars April 13, 2012 at 2:48 am - Reply

Nice template. Thanks for sharing it. :)

9. Yukon Binoculars April 13, 2012 at 2:50 am - Reply

Thanks for sharing this template. Its very nice of you. :)

10. Katrina Moody April 13, 2012 at 5:07 am - Reply

I put together a quick template too, but it’s just layers with smart objects for the main image and the profile image. Did you know if you use the full width (950 px I think) that the background on the end arrow on the left will be from the background of your image? I built the extra space into my template, but thought I’d throw that out there since you seem to have fun with yours!

LOVE the photos – you can easily switch those out and keep the main design with some basic updating as a result! Very nice!

11. Julia Kane April 15, 2012 at 8:17 am - Reply

Hi,

Really a remarkable blog, I will put its link at my site as well. Pplz always looking for such stuff.

12. Anurag April 16, 2012 at 1:10 am - Reply

Very interesting idea. Seems you can also use animated images for cover photo if the exact size specification is maintained – http://goo.gl/Vb6wE

13. Christopher April 19, 2012 at 7:33 am - Reply

Love this template, however, I have to ask: How the heck do I do this in GIMP? I don’t use Photoshop (I’m a poor grad student), so it’s a bit daunting to try and do it in GIMP. Any thoughts?

• Nicole April 19, 2012 at 10:36 am - Reply

I used smart objects in my template, and I don’t think that GIMP supports that. I don’t use GIMP so I can’t really offer any advice other than to download the template file and see what happens when you open it up.

14. Rubin Khan April 21, 2012 at 2:49 pm - Reply

thanx 4 da template!!:)

15. MGIK May 11, 2012 at 7:35 pm - Reply

I love the template.. Don’t know if it’ll work on PS Elements but I will give it a try.. I wish G+ gives you different fun options for a profile page.. like this :-)

16. kalyan Krishnan May 14, 2012 at 10:34 pm - Reply

Nicole this is a response to your blog and how to create a Google Plus Page. I found it most interesting and useful. I ppreciate the efforts you have put in details… Thank you ever so much. Ps. I am a photographer too though an amateur..

17. withu August 5, 2012 at 6:51 pm - Reply

Thank you so much nicole for sharing this, it’s really a nice one.. :)

18. Clueless Winddancing August 25, 2012 at 12:05 am - Reply

Dropped in just get a sense of the wide angle adapter filter and happened to find you. You’ve a lovely voice and an effective presence. Please consider a different photo of yourself unless you’re purposively distracting us.

• Nicole August 25, 2012 at 2:48 pm - Reply

Thanks! Although I can’t quite figure out if you like or dislike my photo … :)

19. Piqua Photographer September 7, 2012 at 4:37 am - Reply

Thank you for this! I have been looking for a nice template for my Google plus page! I will definitely pass this post along. I just recently found your blog and I am enjoying the knowledge that you are sharing! Thank you so much for your time!

20. Bara October 19, 2012 at 11:16 am - Reply

thank you thank you thank you! This was just what I was looking for

21. Daniel Hopkins January 5, 2013 at 10:37 pm - Reply

Thanks, that is very helpful. You can see it in use here:

22. Barbara @ Barbara Bakes March 8, 2013 at 3:04 pm - Reply

I tweaked your template a bit for the new giant Google+ profile picture. Thanks! I don’t know why they wanted it so big?