Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS lens, 1/15 sec at f/8, ISO 100

Today was the first day of this year’s Salt Lake City Farmer’s Market (yay!!!). I celebrated by getting up early, making it out to the market by 8am and getting some tasty, local-grown food. My goal was to create a nice meal for myself as well as photograph it, which I think might end up being a regular weekend thing.

On the menu tonight was lavender crusted rack of lamb. I’ve never cooked with lavender before, mostly because it’s difficult to find. I happened to find a vendor at the market that sold culinary lavender and bought a packet, and used it with some local grass-fed lamb I had just purchased. And, by the way, lavender cooking in a kitchen is one of the most divine smells ever. I’m gonna start finding more recipes to work lavender in to.

Here’s my “recipe” for the lamp … I kinda just whipped it up, so I don’t have precise measurements:

Lavender Crusted Rack of Lamb

Rack of lamb (mine was about 1.3 lbs)
1 tbsp lavender (plus some for garnish)
Olive Oil
Chopped green garlic (they look like green onions, I used about a hand-full)
Salt and Pepper
1 cup red wine (I used shiraz)

Preheat oven to 400° F. Prepare lamb, and in a small bowl add some olive oil, lavender and salt and pepper. Mix, and rub over lamb. Heat oil over medium-low heat. Add garlic, then lamb, and brown the sides quickly. Then, place in oven. I cooked mine for about 15-20 mins, and ended up with a medium to medium-rare cooked meat. When it’s done cooking, set lamb on a cutting board to rest for five or so minutes. Then, with the remaining bits still in the pan, add the wine and deglaze until it’s to a thicker sauce-like consistency. Cut lamb, drizzle sauce over, garnish with lavender and enjoy. :)

By |June 11th, 2011|13 Comments

My name is Nicole and I'm a photographer, author, & photo-educator living in the US. I'm ACE certified in Photoshop, write articles for Photofocus, and do lots of traveling. I also have an online store, where I sell presets, actions, eBooks and textures. Please click here to learn more.

1. Rick Blaine June 11, 2011 at 6:05 pm - Reply

The garlic greens are refered to as garlic scapes

• Nicole June 11, 2011 at 7:44 pm - Reply

Thanks! I didn’t know that :)

2. Natasha McEachron June 11, 2011 at 6:06 pm - Reply

Hello Nicole! I’ve enjoyed reading your blog but this is my first comment.

Great job on the photo; the composition is simple and looks natural but very interesting. I especially like the vibrant green and orange of the veggies. Was this shot with natural/available light or studio lights?

3. AngryGardner June 11, 2011 at 7:56 pm - Reply

FYI Utah has one of the largest lavender farms in the world. It is about 1 1/2 hours south of SLC in Mona (just north of Nephi on I-15). Sometime in July they have a harvest festival where you can go and pick your own. It is quite a sight to see the fields of “ripe” lavender.

Young Living Farms

4. Emily June 11, 2011 at 10:00 pm - Reply

I have never cooked with lavender but it sounds fabulous! And I can’t wait to make it to the downtown Farmers Market. So much fun!

5. Tom June 12, 2011 at 6:03 am - Reply

It looks delicious Nicole!

6. Dean Massalsky June 12, 2011 at 11:37 am - Reply

So- another amazing food shot- you realize you will have ANOTHER career as a chef if you keep this up?

7. Lacey @ dishfolio.com June 13, 2011 at 12:47 pm - Reply

This looks amazing! We’d love for you to share this over at dishfolio.com!

8. Jen H June 13, 2011 at 2:06 pm - Reply

This sounds lovely. I’ve tried cooking with lavender a few times and find if you’re not careful your food tastes like perfume, but it sounds like you have the perfect amount here.

9. nicole branan June 14, 2011 at 5:56 am - Reply

That sounds and looks delicious. Very nice styling! I’ve never cooked with green garlic; does it taste different than white garlic?

• Nicole June 14, 2011 at 8:55 am - Reply

Thanks Nicole! The texture of the garlic is different, it has more of the consistency that green onions have. But it smells similar. I don’t think it’s as potent, too.

10. Gem May 2, 2012 at 6:09 am - Reply

Awesome recipe. Absolutely love it :)
    Here’s another recipe you might like.
    Thanks for sharing.